Mother's Day Geekery

You know, I hadn't really planned on doing anything for Mothers' Day on the blog, simply because moms and geekery don't really go together, but then I thought better of it. See, my mom may not be responsible for my pathological case of geekness (I'd blame and uncle and aunt on my father's side for getting me into bande dessinée and Richie Rich comics), but she did feed the beast.

Who gave me the pocket money to get my first newsstand comics? Who bought me those big black&white JUMBO reprints of American comics in French? Who paid for every SF book I ever got from Columbia House? Who brought us to genre films and made like she enjoyed it when, by all accounts, she'd at best been lost, and at worst, hated it? Who allowed a bunch of crazy teens to invade her kitchen with their role-playing sessions?

That's right. My mom did.

M'man, merci pour tout le support, surtout que je sais que mes hobbys, c'est pas ton affaire. Bonne fête des mères!!

Just to get a picture in, cuz I hate to post without a picture - you know, for my barely literate readers - here's a screenshot from the Dune mini-series. Relevance? 1) My mom took us to see David Lynch's version and clearly hated it, as did we, except not to hurt our feelings, she pretended she liked it. And so did we, not to hurt hers. And 2) the Dune mini, which was 5000% better in my opinion, had Saskia Reeves in the role of Paul's mother. Definitely one of the hottest moms ever put to film!
So whether you gave birth to a Messiah or just a geek, have a happy Mother's Day.

Comments