This Week in Geek (18-24/06/07)

Buys

Damn it, it was raining so I went to the comics store a couple days late for my copy of Brave & the Bold #4 and they were completely out! Which is strange because they still have a dozen copies of #3. How can Supergirl/Lobo trump Batman/Blue Beetle? Damn you, blogosphere, if I found out your promotional skills are behind this...

"Accomplishments"

First, the usual crap: My World of Warcraft character went from level 51 to 53.6 (yes, POINT SIX! Every little bit counts at this point.) And even with all that play time, I still managed to craft 8 cards for the Doctor Who CCG, finishing my commitment to The Runaway Bride. I'm most proud of the Racnoss Hatchling since it was composited from the Racnoss Empress action figure and other elements. Not a perfect job, but a lot of fun to do.
Speaking of Doctor Who, three more Big Finish audios fell under my awesome listening power: Last of the Titans is a brief half-hour tale with a big comedy titanthrope and... I forget. Terminally forgettable, I'm afraid. Creatures of Beauty is a 5th Doctor&Nyssa story that's told completely out of sequence. A worthy experiment I think, but I kept wondering if I'd mistakenly put the cd player on Shuffle (I've done that before). I did like the narrative twists though. Finally, there's Axis of Insanity, teaming the 5th Doctor with Peri and Erimem this time. It's a weird story in a Jungian pocket universe. Some interesting imagery, but the villain just annoyed the heck out of me.

I also flipped the tape on the Logopolis DVD, the 4th Doctor's last story. As usual, the DVD package is excellent with a number of documentaries and interviews, and a commentary track, this time including Tom Baker himself. I've gone on record before saying that Baker is for many reasons UK's answer to William Shatner. It's not just the seminal role in a sci-fi series. It's that in their old age, they've both gone completely bonkers. Exhibit A: This commentary track. Which is actually not as strange as some others he's done. I do enjoy how he freely admits he was a jackass to everyone around him in the series by this point. Also flipped: Star Trek: The Next Generation Season 4.

And finally: Last week I said Checkmate looked like a worthy successor to the beloved Suicide Squad. Well, I finished the first trade and the Squad makes an appearance (with suicidal results!). And now I see a Squad mini-series will spin out of Checkmate. Well there you go. Can't keep Waller down.

Website finds

An important research tool for guys like me is The Unofficial Guide to the DC Universe. They've got some impressive indices covering 70 decades of DC comics.
Don't know the difference between Drum and Bass, Oldskool and Darkcore? You're not alone. Everything you need in a cool package is at Ishkur's Guide to Electronic Music. The definition to Deep House is "This genre is to House music like Superman is to the Superfriends: Indispensable." I think you can see the value now.

And I'll end on a little Photoshoppery... a contest in which the object was to combine classic works of art. Some of them are pretty funny.

And on that note, I'll see you in the morning!

Comments