This Week in Geek (14-20/01/08)

Buys

A few orders came in this week, including four DVDs: First up, was Hearts of Darkness, Eleanor Coppola's fascinating documentary on her husband's masterwork, Apocalypse Now. After flipping the film a couple of weeks back, I felt they should have included this in the package, but since it was available separately, and with a 30 years later extra... Trying to complete my collection Wong Kar-Wai films, I also got As Tears Go By. It was Danny Boyle's name in the credits that made me purchase Sunshine sight unseen. And I've been waiting for the Director's Cut of David Fincher's Zodiac (also sight unseen) because I love all of this guy's films, even the flawed ones. So it's a good week for directors.

In the book department, my total fascination with the first two Fourth World Omnibi made me buy the third. But right now, I'm more excited about About Time 6, the last unauthorized guide to Doctor Who, covering seasons 22 to 26 and the tv movie (the last one unless Tat Wood decides to publish one on the new series, that is). This volume also has essays with subjects like Was There a Season 6B? and What Are the Gayest Things in Doctor Who?

"Accomplishments"

Finished Harold Bloom's Jesus and Yahweh - The Names Divine this week, a comparison of the two from a literary standpoint, i.e. as literary characters. I knew a lot more about Jesus than Yahweh going in, being well versed in my catechism, but the God of the Tanakh (what Christians call the Old Testament) was a revelation (no pun intended). As usual, Bloom has his mannerisms (like repeating his thesis way too often), but I've always found his rambling criticism to be much like my own, and he always always makes me want to reach for whatever books he's discussing, and that's a good thing.

Managed only 10 cards for my Unauthorized Doctor Who CCG and still didn't finish the Blade Runner DVD Extravaganza (not actual title) because of work. It's geeky work however! I work for a university's student association and this week was the annual "School Cup". The university's 13 schools compete in four or five events, scoring points and achieving supremacy on campus. As a gamer and game-maker, I always play a role in organizing it. Only marginally in the case of poker and soccer tournaments, but in the middle of the week, my improv troupe supplied a game show, the questions for which were based on a totally improvised one-act play. The result could be described as Dallas in Hicktown. If this had been a feature film, my co-conspirator Annik would have won an Oscar for playing a slightly retarded man with pathos and dignity. Plus, they always give you an award if you play 1) a member the other sex and 2) the mentally deficient.

Two days later, I had an "Amazing Race" ready for teams of four that had them race around the campus at break-neck speed overcoming obstacles that played on various disciplines. The hardest, apparently, was finding a specific painting in the Arts building. I'm fairly proud of the AR-style clues I made:
In case you're wondering, Arts won the Game Show and Business won the Race, but Engineering won the overall games and the Cup for the third year running (getting at worst second place in every event). Those guys and girls have a lot of heart and a really tight bond. They've deserved it each time, despite being cocky SOBs who've replaced the Cup's nameplate with "Engineering Cup".

Someone Else's Post of the Week
I loved Nina Paley's Valentine's Day special (from Dark Horse) all those years ago, but lost sight of her. Mwb broke that silence this week by entreating everyone to help her finance her animation project. At the very least check out the trailer. It looks like a lot of fun. Thanks for the info Mwb.

Comments

Anonymous said…
Yeah, the engineering school rapes everyone else come Winterlude over here too.
Anonymous said…
Thanks for the linky!

I've been following Nina's making of this for a long while.

And I can't wait to catch the whole thing.

It both looks fun and I totally respect the whole making it all herself aspect.
De said…
Where did you snag a copy of Hearts of Darkness?
Siskoid said…
My usual source: Amazon.ca
De said…
Holy crap. This just shows how out of touch I am.

For years it was implied that Coppola didn't want this released because it was a "warts and all" record of the troubled production. I'm glad to see he's finally come around, even going so far as to record a commentary for the DVD. Very cool.

I bought this on laserdisc two years ago (for a little less than $30) with the intention of mastering it to DVD. Good to know someone else has done the hard work for me :)