5 Things to Like About Action Comics #861

Geoff Johns is starting to prove he can do little wrong in my book these days...

1. The Levitz-Era LegionThat's MY Legion of Super-Heroes, and though I've had fun reading about the others before and after, it gives me great joy that this iteration of the characters can still yield fun stories (Lighning Saga excepted). Brainiac 5 turning himself into the dictator of Colu. Legion Rejects creating their own JLA. Sun Boy held hostage to change all the suns to red to depower Superman. And frickin' Yera. YERA!! It really is like the old days.

2. Brainiac 5 using his power
Why, Dawny? Because that's what he DOES.

3. The floating computer captions
What's the Levitz Legion without infodump captions? Johns uses these captions to present each 31st-century character's vitals. In this shot of Earth-Man sucking the powers out of everyone, all those vitals are redirected to HIM. Fun use of captions? Check.

4. Brainy likes the same comics I do
It DOES rule at that. Way to be bipartisan.

5. I was going to say the mention of a 31st-century Crisis, when suddenly--
THE RETURN OF AMBUSH BUG?!? 2008 is going to be a very good year indeed.

Comments

Anonymous said…
Agreed. Simply the best.

Partly because of that era I have a strong loyalty to that title, despite it's ups and downs.

Although I'm loving the Silver Age Showcase trades (I have volume 2 pre-ordered.)

I'd to get the color hardcovers, but they are so pricey that I have always hesitated.

But frankly that era of the Legions really does need glorious color.
Siskoid said…
I have the first Archive because I found it on special at 20$ (canadian!) back when it was new, but I have difficulty justifying the kind of expense these Archives represent.

I'd love to get all the Golden Age ones for example, but geez, they are pricy.