This Week in Geek (10-16/03/08)

Buys

After two weeks procrastinating, I managed to make it to the post office to pick up a box of Showcase Presents. I was as behind in buying them as I am in reading them. This week's crop: Robin the Boy Wonder, Aquaman volume 2, and most exciting of all, Enemy Ace.

A big fan of Michael Palin's travelogue series, I was also glad to pick up New Europe this week. I hear they invented a bunch of countries for this. That, or my globe is incredibly outdated. Nothing's changed since 1981, right?

Oh, and it wouldn't be Dinosaur Week if I didn't mention a dinosaur appearance in this week's comics. So from Booster Gold #7:
"Accomplishments"

I don't know how it happened, but I had my first Total Party Kill (or TPK) in an RPG this week. It's really not my style, but after having re-started Dream Park (based on the Niven & Pournelle novels) with a mix of older and younger players, the rookies seemed determined to cause the TPK. An adventure with everyone's favorite villains, the Nazis, trying to turn their SS troops into werewolves went into a tailspin early on thanks to an appearance by the ghost of the Red Baron summoned from the depths of hell to kill Snoopy and the players. No one died in the opening encounter, but not from a lack of trying (the appropriate reaction to your plane crashing is not to sit down and play the guitar). Laughs were had, but the ending was definitely disappointing.

In another Nazi-related achievement, I flipped the first volume of the Time Tunnel DVD series. I'm not entirely sure why they split a one-season show into two DVD sets, but "part I", though it starts out slow, has some good moments. Despite some ridiculous situations, the show is actually pretty good about presenting a "solidified" version of history. Paradoxes aren't possible because Doug and Tony were always meant to go back in time and (apparently) tell everyone they're time travellers and [THIS] will happen tomorrow. Despite telling the Germans about D-Day or the Americans about Pearl Harbor, nothing can change history. I was also surprised at the number of historical circumstances that can be solved by a fist fight. And though the dinosaur episode isn't in volume 1, it IS featured in a promotional spot:
Yes, that's an alligator in the role of the... stegosaurus? Take THAT, claymation!

Someone Else's Post of the Week
Caleb at Everyday Is Like Wednesday made me aware of a book I MUST HAVE. MUST MUST MUST!!! CatbagQuest begins! Read his Delayed Reaction on Jeff Brown's Cat Getting Out of a Bag and Other Observations

Comments