This Week in Geek (17-23/03/08)

Buys

Only a four-day week. Didn't leave enough time for packages to get to my home. See you next week.

"Accomplishments"

Finished Manhunter volume 4 (Unleashed) and it reminded me of why I'm so glad it's back on the docket this spring. Not only does the book walk a thin tightrope between poking fun at superhero books and being a damn good one itself, but it's also full of witty dialogue and memorable characters. The centerpiece of this volume is Wonder Woman's trial for killing Maxwell Lord, a plot point I found repugnant, and yet, I'm ok with it here. Such is the power of Kate Spencer. More please!




On the DVD front, in addition to a steady diet of Star Trek: Voyager, I flipped Michael Palin's New Europe, another excellent travelogue through 20 countries of the former Eastern Block. The initial (more southerly) chapters are definitely the better ones, exuding the melancholy of people whose cultures seem to have been on hold for decades. Some of the sights are pretty exotic and spectacular too, especially the strange lava cones of Turkey and the Nazi resort in Northern Germany. So Michael, when are you going to take a trip through Canada? ;-)


Because of my roommate's sudden man-crush on Matt Damon, I also flipped The Bourne Ultimatum, which I think was the only film I saw in theaters last year. Wow, is that possible? I think it is. I'm such a recluse. The DVD includes a fair director's commentary (not a whole lot different from Supremacy's) and lots of featurettes on stunts and the joys of filming on location. Deleted and alternate scenes round out the package. Part of me wants the Bourne franchise to continue, but my reason tells me you shouldn't spoil a trilogy with one too many movies.

And after a break of 20 days (yipes!), I at last finished work on Human Nature/The Family of Blood for my Unauthorized Doctor Who CCG. Long overdue, but I needed to settle a number of game issues regarding the human Doctor and the galactic mayflies that are the Family of Blood. 27 new cards, all crafted today, really. Those interested should check them out as usual.
Someone Else's Post of the Week
Not a post so much as an entire blog, Palaeoblog is something I discovered at the tail end of Dinosaur Fortnight. It would either have helped me or hindered me greatly, I'm not sure which, but it's full of cool dinosaur material. Real science, comics and movies, everything you're looking for. So if 10 days of dinomania wasn't enough for you, there's the escape hatch.

Comments

mwb said…
Despite hearing great things about Manhunter, I have yet to check out.

It is on my list.

The whole WW killing Max Lord Identity crisis, Infinite Crisis - represent significant low points in DC for me - so I tend to ignore them.
billjac said…
I'm halfway through New Europe and it seems like Palin is spending a lot more time being led around by cultural attachés (who, curiously, are all oddly similar beautiful young women) these days than during previous trips. I wonder if that's due to the extra trouble of navigating ex-Soviet countries or if he's just getting a bit old for winging it.

I think he needs to do one more travel series "The Bits I've Missed" to cover Canada, the Caribbean and the east coast of South America.
Siskoid said…
I don't think it's age so much as this being more hospitable terrain. BBC HQ is really quite close and the opening of these countries probably generated a lot of cultural contacts for the Beeb, which Palin and his producer are exploiting.

At some point, you may say "enough with the old ladies singing", but I think that's part of the point. The choice of who and what to visit seems strange sometimes, but in retrospect, it paints the picture of a region living through the last few decades of world culture at an accelerated pace with the very sudden intrusion the global village.