Two Memes for the Price of One

I've been tagged a couple of times in the past week, so I better get to it. Stephen of Comic Book Weekness was first with 3 Questions About Comics and Me:

1) What was the first comic you remember reading?
That's easy. It has to be the first I ever owned: Tintin's Coke en Stock. I have an independent recollection of it from when I was 3½ years old and learning to read with it. Yes, my parents created a monster. While an extremely accomplished example of HergĂ©'s work, I have to say it's a difficult piece for the 3-4 year old. It's a later album where many characters who appeared before return, and one of the story points is an African slave trade. Still, I read and reread that thing so many times, it's now coming apart at the seams.

2) What was the first comic that made you realize that you might be in this for the long haul?
Must've been that one, but I have no memory of the realization. In fact, the hobby was probably thrust upon me. I had an uncle who collected the big names in European bande dessinée (Tintin, Asterix, etc.) and the easy birthday and Christmas present from my entire family was either one or more books.

3) If you had to make a snap decision to take one comic or one comic run to a desert island, what would it be? Don’t think too hard!
On gut instinct, I'd say a complete run of Who's Who. I can flip through and make up my own stories.

The second tag comes from Aqua-Rob! at Hey, Kids Comics! and it's an intriguing little experiment that I'm not sure will bear fruit:

Turn to the nearest book, turn to page 123, locate the fifth sentence, and then post the next three sentences on your blog, and then tag five other people.

Well, I never tag out, but the nearest book is: Michael Chabon's The Final Solution (which I'm reading right now). The three sentences the meme wants me to list are:

For a long moment nothing emerged from his paralyzed throat. The room beyond the wardrobe door was deeply , almost audibly silent, as if all creatures there were waiting to hear whatever it was that Bruno might - must - manage to say. In the instant before he lost consciousness he felt, rather than heard, the low guttural chuckle that bubbled up from him, and the words of the inspector beyond the door.

Well, I hope that didn't spoil anything for me.

They're memes people, consider yourself tagged only if you'd like to be. Siskoid out.

Comments