5 Things to Like About True Believers #1

Another Marvel mini-series with the word "true" in the title that surprised me last week is True Believers #1, Cary Bates' triumphant return to comics after working a while in animation. Stuff I liked about it:

1. The title

As perfectly titled as Marvel Zombies. When do we get a series called "Excelsior!"?

2. The first true heroes of the Internet Age

It took an old school writer with an obvious love of new school technology to create a team of heroes who work with Internet technology. I'm not sure what "weaponized Wi-Fi" is supposed to be, but it sounds real cool. Taking down "the Man" with streaming video, hacking tv signals, you-tubing the truth that is out there... all in a day's work for the True Believers. In that sense, it makes me think of Damage Control. The same kind of subversive satire, looking at the underbelly of the Marvel Universe, though less overtly humorous. Like the blogosphere, it's snarky and irreverent.

3. Information as a weapon
The True Believers don't just blow the whistle on crimes committed by society's "untouchables", they use disinformation against authorities. In the spoilery twist shown above, the SHIELD agent who gives a briefing to Tony Stark about the True Believers is revealed to be Payback herself, essentially presenting the team to us readers, but laying in some nuggets of disinformation to screw with SHIELD. Brilliant. Remember kids: Payback is a bitch.

4. Fat Iron Fist
Just your run-of-the-mill evil old white men running underground gladiator fights between hopped up mutated prostitutes, but still funny to see them running from the law in their disguises.

5. Their next target
I don't know what skeleton they dug up in the Baxter Building closet, but it's a promising cliffhanger. If the series is consistently used to send up heroes and their actions through the information age, it's gonna be a fun 5 issues.

Comments

googum said…
I am kind of wanting to read that one, but I'm worried it's going to be like Livewires: a cool, smart series set in the Marvel U. then never seen again. Grrr.

Anyway, if you want in, I tagged you with a meme I got from the Fortress Keeper: what's your favorite blog post, ever? Tough one, huh?
Siskoid said…
And I was hoping to avoid that particular meme...

I guess I'll just have to think about it.
Sea-of-Green said…
Is that a fat Daredevil, too? *Snicker.* ;-)
Siskoid said…
Daredevil is only big-boned.
As far as I'm aware, the recent miniseries/Runaways-spin-off The Loners was originally supposed to be called Excelsior, but then some legal wrangling or another sent that title the way of The Champions. So yeah, you may have to wait quite a while before you can complete that little Marvel trifecta there, I'm afraid.
Siskoid said…
Star Trek didn't let them use it?
Siskoid said…
True, it IS the name of his autobiography. More power to him, then. Nice to see him as something other than a corporate puppet and shill.
I want to read so much already and this one picked my interest too. In the age of events, it's so easy for the good stuff to fall between the cracks...

Anyway, I got meme-ed too, lol. I'm still thinking of it, but I think I'll wait till the weekend to do it properly. Meanwhile, I'll stick to my usual non-sense :P