Charlton Love

There's something altogether bizarre about Charlton Comics, and I don't mean that in a good way. Take their view on love, for example. Charlton did have some romance comics, but that stuff leaked into their monster comics too:Oh yuck. And what about King Kong rip-off, Konga?
I don't even want to know why he imagines himself with giant exploding breasts in his dream.

And if you had both together?
No, no. Let's not even think about it. Lalala, I can't hear me. Let's change the subject. Maybe, uhm, sharks?
Aw damn, Charlton! Why would anyone do this?

I guess they got cocky once they managed to predict the line from one of the biggest romantic blockbusters of all time:
With Burt Reynolds in the role of Jack.

Remember, kids:
CHARLTON DOESN'T NEED YER STUPID MONEY!

Comments

mwb said…
Wait Carlton had a comic on Gorgo?!?!

And I never knew about it?!?!?

It's like I've wasted my life.
Martin Léger said…
Haha, monsters need love too.

At a first glance, in the first picture of Gorgo, I thought it said Penusian. >.>

I said to myself "Is that like a monster word for pen--Ohh..Venusian...my bad"
Siskoid said…
Mwb: 23 issues of it (Cover Gallery) plus Gorgo's Revenge and 2 issues of Return of Gorgo.

Everything published between 1960 and 1965. It's never too late.
rob! said…
is it me or is Gorgo...enjoying the tongue-bath he's getting from the alien?
Siskoid said…
Well, you don't know pleasure until you've visited the Venusian tongue baths.
Anonymous said…
The Charlton monster trifecta (Gorgo, Konga and Reptisaurus/Reptilicus) based on movies I've never seen, are some of my favorite comics ever.

And given the general tone of smirking humor, I'd bet that the overtones in the Gorgo tongue bath cover are intentional.