Star Trek 861: When You Wish Upon a Star...!

861. When You Wish Upon a Star...!

PUBLICATION: Star Trek #39, DC Comics, June 1987

CREATORS: Len Wein (writer), Tom Sutton and Ricardo Villagran (artists)

STARDATE: 8931.2 (follows issue #38)

PLOT: Some force takes control of the Enterprise, leads it to an unexplored planet, and chooses which people to beam down. On the planet is a shifting, surreal landscape of places likely pulled from the landing party's minds. Guided by a dog-like character speaking in riddles, and using their own minds to wish themselves out of trouble, they make it to the Emerald City via the yellow brick road. The wizard of Oz is Harry Mudd...

CONTINUITY: Harry Mudd, whom you all know, of course (just WHO demanded it?!?). One of the shapes the city takes is that of Wrigley's Pleasure Planet's capital, mentioned in The Man Trap.

DIVERGENCES: None (depending on next issue's backstory on Harry Mudd)

PANEL OF THE DAY - Legion of Super-Heroes reference!
REVIEW: Way to spoil the last page on the cover, guys! I'm not a big fan of characters going through various surreal landscapes and traps. The cartoon dog has some entertaining dialogue and Len Wein has fun pitting him against the landing party in a war of words, but that's pretty much it. Am I looking forward to yet another appearance by Harry Mudd? Why, no, blogosphere, I do not. But if they say he's popular, then I must believe it.

Comments

Alden said…
I for sure thought your caption on the cover would involve Kirk and 'fingering'. I'm glad you took the high road.
Siskoid said…
Not always my first impulse, I know.
snell said…
I did warn you about the DC series and Harry Mudd spoiler covers. Don't worry...there will be more.