This Week in Geek (29/06-5/07/09)

Buys

I wasn't kidding when I said it would be a Kung Fu Summer. Kung Fu Fridays now enliven the week here at Siskoid's place. I have friends come over, we watch a Hong Kong film, and then act like we know martial arts until everyone goes home or to bed. I got a lot of Dragon Dynasty product to get the ball rolling this week: The One-Armed Swordsman, Tai Chi Master, Infernal Affairs 1-2-3, Seven Swords, King Boxer, Come Drink With Me, The 36th Chamber of Shaolin, Hong Kong cinema's comic tour-de-force My Young Auntie, and... Secret Diary of a Call Girl Season 2? I'm not a proud man.

"Accomplishments"

DVDs: This Kung Fu Friday was taken up by Tai Chi Master AKA Twin Warriors. Jet Li, Michell Yeoh, a guy who never quite made it but is quite good as the Jedi who succumbs to the dark side of the Force... It's a great wuxia tale (wires showing and all) about the legendary creator of Tai Chi. Great action of course, but I'd say it was notable for Jet Li's comedy bits. I've never seen him emote as much as this, and I like it. The DVD includes the usual informative Bey Logan commentary, interviews with stars and experts, and a visit to the birthplace of Tai Chi for a quick demonstration.

Internets: Started a new blog in Hyperion to a Satyr, as I mentioned Friday. Still twittering (tweeting? being a twit?) comics singles as I read them. And suffering the loss of Outpost Gallifrey, the Doctor Who forum where I developped my unofficial CCG, among other discussions, closing its doors to posts today.
The forum is still readable to members until the end of the month at which point, it will be absorbed by the vortex. I've moved operations to Braxiatel.com, an art-related Who forum.

Awards: There's an internet award making the rounds, and Jon K. was nice enough to highlight this blog among his nominations. The "Uber Amazing Blog" award is given to sites who:
-Inspire you
-Make you smile and laugh, or maybe give amazing information
-Are a great read
-Have an amazing design
-Any other reasons you can think of that make them Uber amazing!

The rules are:
-Put the logo on your blog or post.
-Nominate at least 6 blogs
-Let them know that they have received this Uber Amazing award by commenting on their blog
-Share the love and link to this post and to the person you received your award from.

So in lieu of Someone Else's Post of the Week, let me present the Uber Amazing Blog award to 6 blogs I find pretty damn cool:
-Articulated Discussion
-Every Day Is Like Wednesday
-Bully Says: Comics Oughta Be Fun
-Strange Maps
-A Character For Every Game
-And the new and improved Living Between Wednesdays

To read them is to love them.

Comments