This Week in Geek (30/11-6/12/09)

Buys

Seems like as soon as I finish a season of Spooks/MI-5, they end it with a cliffhanger that just sends me running to buy the next volume. So yeah, volume 3 this week. And I've been reading Invincible in those oversized hardcovers, and they really don't come out often. Finally got my hands on volume 4 of that, which collects issues 36-47. And of course, volume 5 is back-ordered.

"Accomplishments"

DVDs: Since Kung Fu Fridays was a sort of year end clip show (17 of our favorite scenes from as many movies, back to back), the only DVD I "flipped" this week was Spooks/MI-5 volume 2. The overall arc of the season's 10 episodes is Tom's descent into disillusionment, and while there are a couple of weaker episodes (the two with genius kid hackers), there's also the great, great "I Spy Apocalypse". Spooks is definitely keeping me happy (and away from more productive work) these days. The DVD has about as much extra stuff as the previous series, a good value.




Big Finish Doctor Who audios: Next on my listening schedule was Cavan Scott and Mark Wright's Project: Lazarus. The first half features the 6th Doctor and Evelyn and is a direct sequel to Project: Twilight. Since it's been a while since I listened to that story AND my notes have me calling it unmemorable, well... That part does have a very strong and emotional performance by Maggie Stables as Evelyn though, so it's not all bad. The second half of the audio features the 7th Doctor, returning to the same placing and facing a clone of the 6th. Too obvious to be of much interest. The Forge featured in the story does make me think a whole lot about Torchwood though, and I have a hard time thinking it didn't in some way serve as inspiration.

I then listened to Flip-Flop (by Jonathan Morris), one of those audios that makes use of its format in a clever way. Promotion for it claimed that you could listen to either of the 2 discs first and the story would still make sense. And it does! A clever paradox story in which the 7th Doctor and Mel chase their own tails across two parallel timelines. It rewards the attentive listener, but since I wasn't AS attentive as I wanted to be, I just listened to CD 1 after 2 again and it all matched up. Fun (and frequently funny) script.

Hyperion to a Satyr entries this week include:
Act I Scene 2 - Ghost Stories according to the BBC

New Unauthorized Doctor Who CCG cards: 9 cards for my Relative Dimensions 5 extracanonical set, including material from books, audios and more.

Someone Else's Post of the Week
Chris Sims is reserving some of his most interesting topics to Comics Alliance these days. I'm recommending Super-Gods: The Greatest Mythology in Comics from that material.

Comments