Kung Fu Fridays in August

A number of firsts, this month, for those lucky/crazy enough to join me on my weekly exploration of Asian cinema and martial arts films, two of them on the poster. It's the first time a fictional character has been the subject of the poster - Pai Mei, who appears in a number of flicks, played by various actors - and the first time a martial arts star has been used for a second time - the great Gordon Liu, one of my favorites of all time. It's also the first time a Kung Fu Friday will occur on a Monday (needs must) and the first time an American film has been presented (two of them, actually!). So what's up for the end of the summer?

The Good, the Bad, the Weird - This crazy Korean western comes highly recommended by one of my KFF regulars (shout out to Marty!) and it's tonight's selection. I think it's a good week for weird westerns, don't you?

The 14 Amazons - from Shaw Brothers' early days (1972), it's the award-winning wuxia epic about the female Yang clan, with action choreography by Cheng Hsiao Tung (Shaolin Soccer, House of Flying Daggers). Exceptionally on a Monday because I'll be out of town the previous week, and between 7 and 9 so as not to miss our cookery reality shows.

Kill Bill, Parts 1 and 2 - After more than two years of weekly Asian cinema, but not seeing Kill Bill since it came out in theaters, I think I'll be in a great position to see things I'd never seen before. I do wish I'd gotten my hands on a classic Pai Mei film and/or Master of the Flying Guillotine first - obvious inspirations - but the past two years'll just have to do!

And so it goes as we firmly enter Year 3 of Kung Fu Fridays!

Comments