Kung Fu Fridays in May 2012

Tonight, War of the Arrows. Next month? Well, it's "May I Ask for...?" Month, featuring requests by my KFF crew, including a couple of their own purchases. Consequently, it's going to be one crazy month of May.

I'm a Cyborg But That's Ok - The name of this Korea film is truly bizarre, but it's by the director of Oldboy, Park Chan-Wook, so... the seal of quality? I'm sure KFF member "King Boxer" (we all have such nicknames) hopes so. It's in HIS collection after all.

Blood Brothers - AKA Chinese Vengeance AKA Dynasty of Blood. Most of my crew will be up north for an improv tournament, so I thought I might as well throw in a classic Shaw Brothers movie from good old Chang Cheh, featuring two of his favorite stars, so often seen together (as well as one this month's poster), Ti Lung and David Chiang. The story of a trio of bandits who join the army was retold in 2007 in The Warlords, which has been featured on KFF in the past.

Alien vs. Ninja - "By the makers of Robo-Geisha" is most definitely NOT the seal of quality, but it should be entertaining nonetheless. I didn't buy this, so we can all blame KFF member Furn Sai Yuk for the honor of seeing something that likely, will never be unseen.

Return of the Bastard Swordsman - When The Bastard Swordsman ended some three months ago, the whole crew made me order the sequel. For one thing, there was one bad guy who didn't get his due (he's on the DVD cover, CONFIRMED), and for another, Bastard Swordsman was just the craziest wuxia pic we'd seen in a long time. Silkworm style indeed.

So that's the very colorful line-up for May (there's a chance we'll invert the last two depending on Furn's work schedule), and if you're part of the gang, I'll see you there. If you're not close enough, I'll let you know in my weekly reviews if these are worth your time.

Comments