Tourist Traps of the Forgotten Realms

Being a travelogue of a blogger's summer vacation through the continent of Faerun.I suppose I was always meant to take this journey. As a big fan of Michael Palin's travelogues like 80 Days Around the World, Pole to Pole, Full Circle and the rest, I would lie awake wondering what other lands needed to be explored, especially for someone like me who was never very keen on travel. The only frontier left open to me was that of the Imagination, and thankfully, I found those Lands quite open to me.

I propose then my own Palinesque voyage through the continent of Faerun, which you might know as the Forgotten Realms. As I write this, I prepare to parachute down from a spelljamming ship to the planet Toril, on a spot, Luck Gods willing, conducive to the start of a summer-long adventure. Each week, I hope to send you a postcard from a different place on this biggest of continents. If I find the correct postage. I hope my inexperience as a traveler won't get me into too much trouble, but if I keep to the better roads, I shouldn't expect any problems. Any place I should absolutely visit? Who wants a souvenir?

Going down into dungeons is a big no-no.

So I hope you'll join me next week to find out just where I've landed. I'm gonna try to hit a city first. Never been much of a country boy. You think that'll be a problem?

Comments

Randal said…
That's...that's the old...what is that called...the gas station-like map...they had one of the West and one of Kara-Tur (which did not quite line up or have the same colors, frustratingly). Oh man, that thing was a keeper. I know I still have mine in my old box of D&D. From 2nd edition I kept those maps and the Volo's Guides and a couple other neat items. Good times. Gave up on FR after giving 4th edition about two years to grow on me. Never did. Pathfinder now.
Siskoid said…
I'm strictly old school (well, AD&D 2nd) so those are the maps I'll be using on the trip.

But then, the globe I have in my living room still has the USSR on it.
Randal said…
I loved the maps that came with the FR products...the sourcebooks, mostly...they didn't quite fit together, but we laid out what we could into a giant (and I mean giant) relief type map.
Telemelia said…
How about a trip to the High Moor?
Siskoid said…
That would be like going to England and not seeing Stonehenge! The Moor is on the travel path for sure.
American Hawkman said…
It'd almost be heresy to not take an airship tour in Halruaa or visit the Pyramids of Mulhorand!
Siskoid said…
Booking my tickets now!