And the 12th Doctor Is...

Peter Capaldi is the new Doctor to replace Matt Smith some time after the 50th Anniversary special. So an older Doctor, finally, which is definitely a good thing. I think the series has explored the young, vigorous, desirable Doctor to death  of the last 7 years, and I'm ready for a new dynamic.

So what do I think? I was sold by THIS compilation of moments from the parliamentary comedy The Thick of It. I figure his Doctor won't be dropping as many F-bombs (yeah, not safe for work without headphones, kids), but do watch for the time travel reference 2-3 minutes in. I like his manic energy, and would love an impatient, grouchy Doctor. Who fans on this side of the Pond probably only know him for his Who-centric work though, though I'm not sure his Roman dad from The Fires of Pompeii, or Frobisher from Torchwood: Children of Earth herald any kind of Doctorish performance.

The look: Who knows what he'll wear, but Capaldi kinda looks like an older David Tennant, doesn't he? (Also, like an older version of my role-player incarnating our Time Lord right now.)

Clue that it was going to be him all along (conspiracy theory edition): He's credited in World War Z as "W.H.O. Doctor".

Clue that it was going to be him all along (BBC $$$ edition): All four seasons of The Thick of It are available in Region 1 from Amazon starting this Tuesday.

So International Geek Week is off to a good start! I'll try to do it proud on the Blog of Geekery, so I hope you'll come back for more Who, plus comics, RPGs and more.

Comments

jdh417 said…
I've been hesitating about commenting on this. I have reconsidered about a female Doctor. If they could get Carey Mulligan to come back and essentially reprise her Sally Sparrow character, that would be a worthy and uniquely female take on the character.
Siskoid said…
OOoh, a new female Doctor convert! Welcome aboard.
jdh417 said…
http://io9.com/a-unified-theory-to-explain-the-casting-of-every-new-do-1054287288

Rob is postulating that the Doctor is being returned to his cranky old man roots one more time and then they'll begin the rainbow casting of the part.
Siskoid said…
As good a theory as I've heard!