Siskoid's Comics Recollected - January-February 1984


Siskoid's Comics Recollected is a nostalgic video series in which I go back in time to the first months of my buying American comics. And whatever YOU remember, I'm interested in too!

Related images
Naked Firestorm, yee-haw!
Avengers priority card from OHOTMU #15 (mine was cut out and filled in):
New Spider-Man surprise in Peter Parker, the Spectacular Spider-Man #90 (by Al Milgrom, both story and art):
Related links
What If... Captain America Were Not Revived Until Today?
Great Moments in Galactus History: The Secret Snack (from Secret Wars #2)
This project would just not be possible without Mike's Amazing World of Comics and its comics-by-release-date database

What comics did YOU get in early 1984? Or alternately, in your ninth and tenth months of reading comics?

Comments

Jeff R. said…
Late, and you've assigned a double. Well, January and February 1980, then:

I started picking up Marvel's fairly dire Star Trek comics with #1 and #2 those months (speaking of which, are you planning to do an IDW catch-up any time soon?). DCCP #11 and #12 featured Green Arrow and the Elongated man. JLA 177-178 were a Despero two-parter that introduced me to the Martian Manhunter. Superman #346 and #347 were forgetable one-offs. Don't have any strong memories of Superman Family #201, either. There was a Secret Origins Digest that I picked up.

Action #506 was forgettable also, but #507 was the start of a good "Pa Kent returns" storyline (he did some aliens a Solid and they pay him back with a little time travel.) Adventure #470-471 continue that Starman/Plastic Man run. Legion #262 wraps up an R.J. Brande thread, and #263 brings back Tyroc. Superboy #4 finished up the evil 50's Gene Cooper story, and I think #5 is where Pa Kent helps the aliens out. Finally, Fantastic Four #217 brings that plot thread I mentioned last time to a close, as H.E.R.B.I.E. randomly becomes psychotic and tries to kill everyone. I'm not sure I even bought #218; it was a Spider-Man crossover and I was somewhat of an anti-fan of Spidey at the time.
Siskoid said…
Yeah, I should do that IDW comics catch-up, probably in big chunks. I've been meaning to, but haven't found the enthusiasm for it.

Going back to early 1980... nothing strikes a bell unless I discussed the series at length in these pages (i.e. Rom and Star Trek). Whoa, is that Animal Man guest-starring in Wonder Woman?