Siskoid's Comics Recollected - November 1983


Siskoid's Comics Recollected is a nostalgic video series in which I go back in time to the first months of my buying American comics. And whatever YOU remember, I'm interested in too!

Related images
Lana's surprising upskirt #grannypantymoment
Superboy's friends get their own powered identities!
Related links
DC Comics Presents #66 was my first Joe Kubert comic, and I made it a big part of the obituary I wrote for him.
I took the mickey out of that issue of Batman and the Outsiders (and more besides), starting with the cover.
Pages 1-8
Pages 9-15
Pages 15-18
Pages 19-23
This project would just not be possible without Mike's Amazing World of Comics and its comics-by-release-date database.

What comics did YOU get in November of '83? Or alternately, in your seventh month of reading comics?

Comments

Jeff R. said…
Were you particularly aware of the creators of the books you were reading, writer or artist, at this point? I know I didn't even notice those credits for a long time, a couple years after where you're at now in fact.

Anyhow, November 1979. DC Comics Presents 18 featured Zatanna in a forgettable story that did not move her any closer to a solo book. JLA #175 was the first part of a 2-part Dr. Destiny story, my first exposure to that character. Superman #344 had him fighting Dracula, Frankenstein, and the Werewolf. Action #504 was unremarkable, Adventure #468 continued that Starman/Plastic Man run. The Legion of Superheroes, in #260, did the obligatory story for any super-team in which they quit their jobs and join the circus for a while. I don't remember if Amnesia was involved. Superboy #2 had Satan show up. This was an interesting book early on because before it, Superboy stories took place in the 30s, but now they took place in the 50s. Except that they also took place in the early 80s, as we'll see next time.

And we end with Fantastic Four #215, which ended the Wolfman/Byrne run with a 1-issue story about Blastaar. I, as I said, wasn't particularly aware of creators, but I certainly did notice a big drop-off in quality after this issue.
Siskoid said…
No, I probably wasn't really aware of creative teams at this point, even with DC sometimes putting them on the cover. I must've been noticing some of the more extreme styles - Kubert, for example, and the Romitas working together intrigued me, certainly I was fascinated with Gil Kane's signature - but more than that, not sure. Writers were probably interchangeable in those days. It's probable my awakening came because of letters' pages, where such things are discussed, and not the work itself.

November 1979? I do have a used copy of JLA 175, but no memory of it. Many of those Richie Rich books (geez, Harvey was shoveling them out back then) look pretty familiar. Otherwise, looks like a big month for Marvel heroines, with the introductions of both She-Hulk and Dazzler!