RIP Dick Ayers, Silver Age Great

It feels strange to me that Silver Age artist Dick Ayers should have died this Sunday, at age 90. His name is one I'd always recognized as one of Marvel Comics' pioneers, but no more than that until rather recently. He was interviewed in the Stan Lee documentary I watched last week. I've been reading American Comic Book Chronicles: The 1950s, which mentions him frequently and shows some of his art (both inks on Jack Kirby and his own western and war pencils; he co-created the original Ghost Rider, for example). And this last FCBD, one of my few purchases was the Sgt. Fury and His Howling Commandos Marvel Essential, a series for which he is the primary artist. As he takes his place in the great Marvel Bullpen in the sky, let's take a moment of silence and just look at some of his most amazing covers.
Dick Ayers (1924-2014)

Comments

SallyP said…
Well, that's a darned shame.