DCAU #343: Vendetta

IN THIS ONE... Introducing Vendetta, a supervillain who wants to destroy Paxton Powers.

CREDITS: Written by Hilary J. Bader and Rich Fogel; art by Craig Rousseau and Rob Leigh.

REVIEW: Not to be confused with the BTAS Season 1 episode of the same name (featuring Croc), this Vendetta is a new villainess' name. But not that new considering Miss Winston was Derek Powers/Blight's secretary in Beyond's first season, though it seems proximity to Blight has given her green-glowing powers of her own. While I'm sure the people in her life don't recognize her on account of increased height and bulk, it's pretty easy for the reader to do so just based on the haircut. Weirdly, Vendetta has brown hair and Miss Winston is blond, but she was a brunette on the show.

In any case, the tie-in series is doing two things here I completely agree with on principle. The first is growing Batman Beyond's rogues gallery. Anything to avoid reading another Shriek story. The second is dealing with Paxton Powers and the corporate wrongdoing that was, yes, overused in Season 1, but needlessly ignored in Season 2. The comics are a good platform to tell more corporate stories, which may be too wordy for the more action-driven television show. Not that the corporate plot here is too great.

I do like that Vendetta wants to preserve Derek Powers' legacy, and sticks it to his just-as-crooked son, but the resolution of this tale hinges too much on Miss Winston transferring holdings to... nope, I can't give a good synopsis because I don't really get it, or what kind of power of attorney she seems to have. I could also deal with Terry having more to do except get beaten up and losing his prey. She's the more effective vigilante in this issue.
REREADABILITY: Medium - I like Vendetta, and I like the comic doing the things it does, but either the plot needs work or I need some business classes.

Comments

Brendoon said…
By looking at the panel scans I (again) have to say how much I love the tonal irregularities which the physical printing WITH INK, in halftone dotscreens, on paper produce.
As a digital cartoonist and analogue musician I'm well aware of when a digital effect fails to go "all the way" in producing what we're used to seeing in the physical world.
I've no idea if kids growing up on digital comics will have this "handicap" or if high saturation with lack of physical texture will be considered their benchmark.
I guess their pages will never yellow.
Neither will a second generation get to thumb through their box of old comics....