Streaky #1: Origin of a Super-Cat

From: Action Comics #261 (February 1960)

Hi! This is Streaky the Super-Cat! Siskoid is at some fool improv tournament this weekend (yes, again, Frogs b Frogs, man), and he left his laptop open, which is just what this super-powerd kitty needed to stage a coup. Remember when this blog was all about Cats of Geekery? *I* sure do. But we've been suffering through more than 65 straight weeks of canine cock-ups, and I have had ENOUGH. So move over Krypto, let's talk about everyone's ACTUAL FAVORITE Super-Pet. From the beginning...

I first met my mistress (that's just a turn of phrase, we all know who the real master is) in her guise as Linda Lee, just a waifish orphan who could blow you away with her strong breath.
I immediately took to her. She told me "Take good care of yourself", which I of course interpreted to mean I should adopt her so SHE could take care of me. A cat's gotta eat and get cuddles, right? It was an easy matter to track her down with my feline "instincts" and though I have a secret name, she gave me another based on my admittedly odd coloring.
The orphanage lady thought it was such a good name, Linda could keep me. This was back in 1960 when no consideration was given to kids with allergies. I'm not complainin'! So I'm out in the woods behind the building and I come across this piece of kryptonite Linda had chemically altered in an attempt to block its radioactive properties. It didn't work so the dumbbelle threw it away, but her experiments DID have an effect. On me!
Wow, that's a LOT of exposition. I mean, it was the Silver Age. Look at us! We were KITTENS! But yeah, whoever the narrator is, what HE said. Now, if you don't believe it was fate that turned me into a Super-Cat, consider how I accidentally got the cape around my neck. You can't argue with that kind of cosmic coincidence.

There are those who say cats are inherently villainous. Selfish, treacherous creatures. Oh yeah sure, unlike that jealous glory hound Krypto, who's turned Smallville into a hollowed ground sink hole looking for bones and is more interested in medals and parades than helping people. I, for one, looked to help the less fortunate than I from day one.
See?! Dogs are just big bullies and need to be taught a lesson!
How do you like THEM apples?! My loud super-meow woke Linda up, and turns out she also had super-powers. More of that Destiny stuff. She was present when I showed that I didn't just care about cats. No. I'm a real hero. I helped BIRDS.
would probably help mice too, given the chance. Because that's the kind of Super-Pet I am. Because Linda wanted to have some fun, we flew into orbit and played with rolled-up telephone cables like it was yarn, I got tangled up, but busted free, and then... OH NOES!
Turns out X-Kryptonite has a time limit! What a revolting development. So they left it up to the readers whether my dreams would come true or not:
So what do you think, readers? We know what the kids from 1960 thought, what about YOUR generation?

Comments

Brendoon said…
Read this one years ago ('bout 35 years?). For some reason the artwork has stuck in memory like I've just read it now (especially the panel with the eagle and baby chickens). The story itself was mildly amusing, that's all it needed. Cute, fun. SG's costume catches my breath somewhat. Where's her father?? Oh, that's right. Got Kryptonised on that floating chunk. I guess she can wear what she likes.
Anonymous said…
More super cat!
Siskoid said…
There's a more than even chance Streaky gets the weekly slot once Krypto's adventures are done.