Children of the Golden Age Were Lied To!

So I'm looking at a scan of Adventure Comics #53 (cover-dated August 1940) for my One Panel feature, and there's this one-pager called "Fantastic Facts" in it, at the top of which sits this image:
The Stegosaurus, "the world's largest animal"?! It can't even be the largest dinosaur!

I don't have to do any research to know the Blue Whale is the largest animal that ever lived in this or any era. If I do a little research, I find that their average weight is 200 tons (180 metric), which blows Steggy's 40-ton record to bits. What else outweighs the Stegasaurus? Well a LOT of animals given they never actually reached 40 tons! More like 6 tons. SIX. They're just compounding the lies here. It's nowhere near the Brachiosaurus' 60 tons (which beat the alternative-fact Stegosaurus anyway).

Don't get me started on the caveman watching on...

Crisis! What else were our grandparents and parents lied to about? What did they pass on as "common knowledge" that really wasn't? I can't trust a single Golden Age comic anymore. Are they lying about a man born in a different gravity's ability to jump over tall buildings? How easy it is to become a millionaire's ward? How a ghost might go about pantsing Hitler? I'm going to have to withdraw from polite society for a bit and have a big think.

Comments