Ad-Cast: French-Canadian Edition

My friend Mike Peacock was nice enough to invite me to guest-ramble on his strangely-named Count Dante's Black Dragin Soctiety Ad-Cast (I didn't ask) this week, a comic book podcast that looks at the stuff other shows ignore: Ads! But while Mike of course brought a couple of good ol' American comics to the conversation, I decided to give him a taste of what comic book ads might be like for a French-Canadian boy like me! Indeed, I pulled out 1) a homegrown Canadian comic, Captain Canuck #7; and 2) a French comic, Pif Gadget #378. Seeing as the ads in these will be alien to many listeners, they follow below.

So go ahead and listen to Ad-Cast Episode 4 with these visual aids. You'll find it HERE.

From Captain Canuck #7:



From Pif Gadget #378:
 




Jealous of the French kids who could mail out for this thing... Anyway, hope you like the show. I had fun recording it.

Comments

Metal Mikey said…
Still want that personalized Captain Canuck jacket! That's a fast pass to Chick Magnet City!
Anonymous said…
Cool. I'm Canadian, but I've never actually seen a Captain Canuck comic. Maybe they just didn't sell them in my small town; did you buy that one off the rack?

I like the want ads in the French comic; two guys looking for info on UFOs/flying saucers ... they should've written to each other. (Maybe that's how the Lone Gunmen got started?) I also like the guy who's looking for a pearl grey poodle--not white, not black, pearl grey. I bet he was looking after one for somebody and lost it.

Mike W.

Siskoid said…
Never saw one in the wild either. I'm guessing specialty shops of the day, and mail order.

Captain Canuck I mean, not the pearl-gray poodle.