FF: Spot the Mistakes

Category: Fantastic Four
Last article published: 14 January 2020
This is the 53rd post under this label
Guys, there are 13 mistakes in this vintage panel of Lee and Kirby's Fantastic Four? Can you spot them all?

Let's put a buffer between the image and the answers.

4

4

4

4

4

4

4

4

You ready? Need more time? Ok.

4

4

4

You're out of time! Here are the answers!

1. The Thing has a full jumpsuit.
2. Reed calls Ben and Johnny by the code-names even in private.
3. Reed's uniform is different shades of blue.
4. The 4 on his chest is three-dimensional, like it pops out of his chest.
5. Stan Lee gets to sign the panel as if he had something to do with the art.
6. Johnny is a bath person? Come on, he's strictly showers.
7. Ben is presented as a thinker.
8. The bathroom mat did not absorb any water (or color, it seems).
9. There's another random mat in the corner of the living room.
10. Johnny should be steaming and not making such a mess.
11. The pipe is not lit.
12. FF lampshades but not towels? C'mon.
13. The Reed of this era lets Sue call the shots.

Wait, did *I* miss any?

Comments

Andrew said…
Hate to be a little nit-picky here, but . . .

1. This is the uniforms's first issue, and Ben's also has a helmet he won't wear on a regular basis until the DeFalco/Ryan run. His jumpsuit doesn't even last until the end of the issue, as he rips it off "so I can move" in the buildup to the final fight with the Miracle Man.

2.Yup. For the first several issues, the entire team took Ben at his word when he said Ben wasn't his name anymore, just Thing. I'll give you Johnny, though.

4. The drop shadow is very much a Depending on the Artist/Inker situation. Byrne, I believe, was most consistent at rendering it.

7. Given what we eventually learn about Ben's backstory (you know, things like Reed's roommate at ESU, Air Force test pilot) consider this a very early bit of foreshadowing that he's quite a bit smarter than he lets on.

The rest of it? Sure, I'll give it to you.
Charles Izemie said…
Additional nitpickery:

11. Reed's pipe looks lit to me – the inside of the bowl looks reddish as opposed to the brown of the pipe itself. Added to that Reed's cheeks look slightly hollowed as if he were inhaling smoke vigorously, and in that case, there would be no smoke rising from the bowl, because everything would be on the way to Reed's elastic lungs, and also the tobacco would be burning brightly, thus the colour. I know Kirby was a cigar person, but it looks pretty accurate pipe-smoking to me. (Of course Reed couldn't be talking at the same time, but I'm putting it down to comic-book time.)

Having said that I enjoyed the exercise!

Although: the size of the side table and the perspective of the articles on it look somewhat suspicious to me, but my mind could be playing tricks. Plus: I don't think I've ever been to a place where the bathroom door opens so directly into the living room, but I'm no architect...
Siskoid said…
It's just a comedy routine on my part, don't believe everything I say.
Andrew said…
It's early Lee/Kirby FF. I have trouble keeping my inner fanboy down.