One Panel #493: A Sensation!

From "Wonder Woman Arrives in Man's World" by William Moulton Marston and Harry G. Peter, Sensation Comics #1 (January 1942)

Wonder Woman's first appearance and origin is actually in All-Star Comics #8, out this same month, but I can't let Diana launch a series without showcasing her in the book's one selected panel. So here she is punching an enemy bomber parachuting to safety as she hangs from a rope ladder hanging from her transparent plane. (It's the first appearance of that iconic craft.) One cool action moment among many. Images online would make you believe Golden Age Wonder Woman was just bondage, bondage, bondage all the time, but it really wasn't (though I think it'll get MORE like that over time, we'll soon see).

Wonder Woman gets her due, but at the same time, I have to mention Sensation Comics' other strips. Black Pirate moves here from Action, but look at all these first appearances: Mister Terrific, the Gay Ghost, Little Boy Blue and the Blue Boys... WILDCAT!

So yes, Wonder Woman, but I hope you'll indulge me as I make use of these other features in future One Panel articles about Sensation Comics!

Comments