It's All Coming Down Around My Ears

Category: Tintin
Last article published: 8 November 2021
This is the 25th post under this label

A couple of weeks ago, I mentioned in a One Panel post that I was soon moving house and it was a bit of a headache. To all well-wishers, thank you. Because what I didn't mention earlier was that the last couple months in THIS apartment have been uncomfortable, if not outright torturous. The reason I'm moving is that the landlord needs to sell the house so he can retire. Fair enough. But it's an old house, not necessarily well-built, and before that could be done, he had to make substantial repairs, including replacing the roof entirely. Not the roofing, mind, the ROOF. Cue a lot of noise and a terrified cat hiding in the cupboard, as well as interruptions aplenty, but what we weren't counting on is the temperature to drop - in late May, early June - to below 0 degrees Centigrade, and with no insulation or heating ducts, I had a couple days of seeing my own breath there. And then, to tie it into the above Tintin head trauma moment, there was this:
No one was under the hole, thankfully (not that anyone thought to shout down to see if everyone was okay), just a corner-shaped hole in the Atlantic Ocean (you can see my globe took a tumble), so that's just more repairs I have to sit through. I work from home, so it can be as many as 14 hours straight of hammering and even less comforting sounds.

I did quickly find a new place, which I'm moving into at the end of the month. Costs more, less space, not sure where all my stuff goes. I wouldn't call myself a hoarder, but I'm definitely a pack rat, and living in one place for 18 years means I accumulated a LOT of stuff. I'm using movers, as even 18 years ago, I promised myself I would never again force friends to lift all those boxes of books and comics. And then all the unpacking... I can't even face it right now.

So for now, my spirit animal is Tintin getting beaned in the head. As probably happened to him half a dozen times per story.

Comments

Tim Knight said…
Good luck. Hope the move goes smoothly and you can then relax.
tomg said…
It sounds like a nightmare. Good luck with the move!