What a Card: Vekma

Being a look back at cards from the Star Trek CCG, and what I thought of them back when they were fresh and new... in EPISODE order. And we finish with "A Matter of Honor" with a final personnel...

EXPANSION: Premiere

PICTURE: Nice smile. Exactly taken when she "propositioned" Riker as stated in the lore. It's a standard head and shoulders shot, but has personality. A 3.3.

LORE: Well, it doesn't acknowlege Vekma's universality, but you can sort of almost smell it in the way the lore is phrased. The anecdote is the only memorable thing about her and not badly put. The first sentence, however, is ambiguous. If she's versed in Klingon anatomy and medicine, can she still heal somebody from another species? But let that go. A 2.7.

TREK SENSE: I always have a hard time thinking of Klingon warriors as doctors and scientists, especially if nothing to that effect is stated in the show. I admit, however, that Klingon ships MUST have this kind of personnel to function. Do I believe, given the onscreen evidence, that Vekma is the Pagh's medic? Not really. It seems like the Klingons needed a target for Anaphasic Organism when Premiere came out, and she was made to fit the bill. The second thing to consider is: Can you do such a thing as specializing in Honor? What would that mean? I think it means being an expert in Klingon practices. The "quality" aspect of Honor cannot really be considered when talking about mission specialists. I won't argue Vekma's not honorable, but there's no real evidence either way. The attributes look okay, nothing surprising there. A thin 2.5.

STOCKABILITY: How useful is a Klingon mission specialist with Honor? Well, there are 10 Klingon missions with Honor as a requirement, half of those asking for it in multiples (from x2 to x4!), so I'd say, very useful in an Assign Mission Specialists strategy. Vekma is also one of the rare MEDICALs the Klingons have, and one of their rare female personnel. Her universal nature makes her a natural for AMS and supplying your Empire with cheap female MEDICALs (that sounds wrong somehow). Four Vekmas at Wormhole Negotiations can score you 65 points, so don't knock her. Of course, she's not the only Honor specialist, so mix her in with some SECURITY in the form of Kle'eg or someone to get more than one classification. Of couse, if you're not using AMS, she's pretty plain. A 4.

TOTAL: 12.5 (62.5%) As far as cheap universal personnel go, she makes for a pretty good card. It's a shame Riker never went on a date with her...

Comments