This Week in Geek (25-31/12/06)

Last Roundup of 2006, so how did the year end?

Buys

Mailman brought me the Goodfellas DVD (so somebody's gonna get my VHS copy as a present, I can feel it).

Also, A Scanner Darkly, Richard Linklater's very faithful adaptation of Philip K. Dick's novel. In fact I'd say it's the only such movie that can make anywhere near that claim. Not to take away anything from Blade Runner or Minority Report (but I'll willingly take everything I can from Total Recall, Screamers, Imposter and ugh, Paycheck).

"Accomplishments"

Yeah, about A Scanner Darkly... I went and flipped the tape on it. And just to give myself another extra to play with, I picked up the novel from my bookshelf and started reading it.

On the RPG front, played two (count 'em, TWO! 1... 2... well, that was rather easy) sessions of the Crusaders: One a Christmas story that pit them against the Toyman and ended with our heroes in some rather inappropriate garb in the same vein as the Thing and Ghost Rider passing themselves off as two of the three wisemen. The other focused on Plastic Man and Red "Emo" Tornado trying to cheer up the Jester by pranking the Joker. Aww... it was a Christmas miracle. (That I allowed Red Tornado in one of my games, that is!)

Other than that, I listened to the Doctor Who audio play "The Stones of Venice". The 8th Doctor fights amphibious gondoleers in future Venice... It's a description that rocks a little more than the CD, but not unpleasant.

And of course, more Dr Who cards for that project. About a dozen, in fact, 2 Christmassy ones and the rest today even. No holiday shall stand in my way!

Website finds

While looking for some Teen Titan radness, I came across this particular entry of Dial B for Blog focused on the Beatles' comics appearances: Dial B for Beatles!

And then there's stuff other people send you and that make you wonder just what possessed them to Google anything remotely like it. Combine Christmas Carol with HP Lovecraft and you get... The Carol of the Old Ones!

And finally, here's an oldie but a goodie: The Cats Role-Playing Game. I love this thing. It's a little like Bunnies & Burrows and a lot like Homeward Bound II (and nothing like the musical), and of the slim 182 hits on the site since 2001, I'm probably responsible for 180. Give it some love, won't you?

I'll wish you a Happy New Year, and see you here tomorrow for some more posting. Ok, gotta get back to work. That Teen Titans #1 won't read itself, you know. (Actually, I sometimes wish it could.)

Comments

Anonymous said…
How bout a review of Scanner Darkly?

Been wanting to see it.
Anonymous said…
The Cats role-playing game? Bwah-ha-ha-ha-ha.

I discovered Killer Bunnies and that card game is Hilarious! Everyone should check it out!
Siskoid said…
"How bout a review of Scanner Darkly? Been wanting to see it.

See it."

I plan on posting a review when I finish the book.
GRoY said…
I've watched A Scanner Darkly... Pretty good. Especially the way it ends, we get to know that... heh i won't tell, no worry.
Mélanie said…
Man, Keanu Reeves est hot (mais j'aime pas sa barbe sur le case)