This Week in Geek (05-11/02/07)

It's time for our weekly roundup of Geek's activities...

Buys


Plenty! This week I got About Time 2, which details the 4th through 6th seasons of Doctor Who. It was a bit delayed, so I couldn't help sighing "Well, it was about time!" So sue me. You'd do it too. In related news, I also got Doctor Who Series 2, the David Tennant boxed set. Yay!

As for comics, Amazon sent me the last two Showcase Presents I was missing, i.e. Shazam! and Green Lantern. Also, Grant Morrison's 7 Soldiers of Victory Book 4. It's his best work in recent years, so I won't mind rereading Books 1-3 to get myself up to date again.

"Accomplishments"

For the second weekend in a row, I managed to hook up with a former player from my RPG group (DCHeroes/Crusaders) at an improv tournament and found some time for some gaming. Not as much time mind you, so it turned out to be an hour's worth of a subplot turned fight. Sounds like a perfectly legitimate comic. So we had the return of our superpowered Acadian wrestler being trained by fighting monks in Tibet battling it out with a giant sumo (Mt. Fuji from GURPS Supers) while the team's young gun was fighting Fuji's kite! Now it sounds like a comic I might buy! Good fun, guys.
Media intake is pretty much limited to some Doctor Who audios. I got through Gallifrey: The Inquiry, which I found a little confusing to tell you the truth, so my attention may have been elsewhere. The 5th Doctor's early adventure, The Land of the Dead, isn't well regarded, but I found it a legitimate effort despite the dodgy accents. Tried to listen to more stuff, but my discman's batteries crapped out.

Website finds

Well, this article on Sex and the Single Superhero CREEPED ME OUT! Especially the more recent stuff, which I hadn't seen panels of. Contains tastelessness without being graphic, beware. Except the Steranko stuff. Steranko rules.

The Gematriculator is a weird little engine that calculates how evil your website is. This blog is currently only 31% evil, which isn't too bad. The White House website is 49% evil. The Canadian government's website is only 16% evil, even with Stephen Harper's picture in its dead center. Most evil blog in my list of favorites? Surprisingly, it's Polite Dissent at 58%! Wow, didn't see that coming. Medicine+Comics=EVIIIILLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL!!!!

And that's all for this week. Back to regular posting tomorrow!

Comments