Sometimes the blogosphere is full of outrage and criticism. That's a given. Whether it's misogynistic superhero wife statues or crossover fatigue, people are more likely to write about things that piss them off or that they find ridiculous. Perhaps that's why there's a sort of not-always-acknowledged meme going on about lists of things bloggers love. I'll append a list of those I've seen at the bottom of this post, but while most are about comics alone, I'm going to have to throw my net wider, as per my mission statement.
So here are, in no particular order, things I love about Geekery with a capital "G":
1. Just how many old comics are being reprinted cheaply through Showcase Presents and Essentials.
2. New Doctor Who!!!
3. The laughs to be had around the table in a role-playing session. I have the best players, you know that?
4. The wealth of comic book blogs out there that consistently make me think or laugh. (See links in side-bar.) And the chance to participate.
5. DVD commentaries. Just like going to film school.
6. Knowing words like "omnipotent" and every god in 3 or 4 pantheons by 5th grade.
7. Having lived to see a number of comics/SF/fantasy properties brought to the silver screen APPROPRIATELY.
8. That in my head can be found many versions of history. Our own, obviously, but also those of DC Comics (more than one there actually), Marvel Comics, Doctor Who, Star Trek, etc.
9. Anyone can be a fan of Batman, but it takes a special, dedicated soul to love Aquaman.
10. James Kochalka.
11. Board games no one wants to play with me. Like Cosmic Encounter.
12. Photoshop ('nuff said).
13. Blade Runner Special Edition is coming out this year.
14. Super-Powers action figures. Squeeze Dr. Fate's legs and he casts a spell!!!
15. Rolling a "critical". Is there anything more viscerally exciting?
16. Deep Space 9.
17. The Grand Comic Book Database. Best blogging tool EVER.
18. Neon Genesis Evangelion.
19. Being part of a working World of Warcraft guild almost exclusively composed of people I know in real life.
20. "Geek cred". Being a geek is a lot cooler than it used to be.
50 Things Kalinara Loves About Superhero Comics
50 Things Ragnell Loves About Mainstream Superhero Comics
30 Things Jon Hex Loves (platonically!) About DC Comics
30 Things Jon Hex Loves (platonically!) About Marvel Comics
10 Reasons Kevin Church Really Likes Star Wars, despite...
27 Things Right (Again or All Along) with the DC Universe (by Devon)
If I've missed your love along the way, let me know!