Why I'd Rather Be Living in the Village

Don't get me wrong, I love my town. Moncton is just big enough to have everything I want, yet small enough that I can pretty much walk anywhere I really need to get to, or else not be much of a cab ride away. I have a deep, patriotic connection to it. However, even I can't remain blind to the charms of the Village from the much-loved Prisoner series. I mean, look at the perks!

Everyone is so polite
"Be seeing you" is more than just a greeting, it's a way of life in the Village. No more crossing the street to avoid saying hi to a pedestrian coming down the sidewalk in the opposite direction. No more wondering if that person will take your greeting in either official language as an insult. "Be seeing you." Yes, you will, many times. The person watching, tailing or stalking you will show up again and again. Your rapport with him/her/them will grow and blossom. (And hey, the first person #6 meets addresses him in French - "it's international" - so I'm covered both ways.)

A groovy appartment
No one pays rent in the Village. You're assigned a cool, mod apartment or house and aside from everything being bugged, everything looks real nice. I like where I live now, but do I have a sexy personal maid? No I do not.

Golf carts
I don't drive. Never have. No driver's permit. Not a big deal in the Village. You don't need a license to drive a golf cart, right? I'm sure you don't.

Giant board games
That's the giant chess, but I'm sure I could get the other Villagers to play other games. Giant Risk. Giant Hnefatafl. Giant Cosmic Encounter. Giant Battletech. AD&D with giant miniatures. I bet I'd be real popular. As much as I am now. At least!

The beach front
The Village has a beach! How perfect is that? No more waiting for a drive to go 25 minutes out of town just to hunt for hermit crabs and make them fight in a Mason jar! I'll have to watch for those beach balls though.

Now all I need to do is become a spy, get hold of information I shouldn't know and get myself "resigned". Piece of cake! Be seeing you...

5 comments:

De said...

It wouldn't surprise me if the CIA referred to extraordinary rendition as being sent to the "Village."

Anonymous said...

If putting crabs in a mason jar is your idea of entertainment where you live - your a sicko. Hermit crabs do any harm to you? No, I think not. They do help the environment though.You seem to have no respect for life. People like you who get a kick out of watching animals, crabs, etc fight ought to be put in a mason jar w/the lid on tight.

Siskoid said...

I send them back into the wild before I leave. Good friends.

Some of them still write!

chiasaur11 said...

Besides, we all know crabs put people in mason jars whenever they get a chance. It's just nature's way.

(What If is delayed due to TV week, right?)

Siskoid said...

No, actually.

 

Blog Archive

Category

5 Things to Like Activities Advice Alien Nation Aliens Say the Darndest Things Alpha Flight Amalgam Ambush Bug Animal Man anime Aquaman Archetypes Archie Heroes Arrowed Asterix Atom Avengers Awards Babylon 5 Batman Battle Shovel Battlestar Galactica Black Canary BnB 2-in1 Books Booster Gold Buffy Canada Captain America Captain Marvel Cat CCGs Charlton Circles of Hell Class Comics Comics Code Approved Conan Contest Cooking Crisis Daredevil Dating Kara Zor-El Dating Lois Lane Dating Lucy Lane Dating Princess Diana DCAU Deadman Dial H Dice Dinosaur Island Dinosaurs Director Profiles Doctor Who Doom Patrol Down the Rabbit Hole Dr. Strange Encyclopedia Fantastic Four Fashion Nightmares Fiasco Films Within Films Flash Flushpoint Foldees French Friday Night Fights Fun with Covers FW Team-Up Galleries Game design Gaming Geekly roundup Geeks Anonymous Geekwear Gimme That Star Trek Godzilla Golden Age Grant Morrison Great Match-Ups of Science Fiction Green Arrow Green Lantern Hawkman Hero Points Podcast Holidays House of Mystery Hulk Human Target Improv Inspiration Intersect Invasion Invasion Podcast Iron Man Jack Kirby Jimmy Olsen JLA JSA Judge Dredd K9 the Series Kirby Motivationals Krypto Kung Fu Learning to Fly Legion Letters pages Liveblog Lonely Hearts Podcast Lord of the Rings Machine Man Motivationals Man-Thing Marquee Masters of the Universe Memes Memorable Moments Metal Men Metamorpho Micronauts Millennium Mini-Comics Monday Morning Macking Movies Mr. Terrific Music Nelvana of the Northern Lights Nightmare Fuel Number Ones Obituaries oHOTmu OR NOT? Old52 One Panel Outsiders Panels from Sheena Paper Dolls Play Podcast Polls Questionable Fridays Radio Rants Reaganocomics Recollected Red Bee Red Tornado Reign Retro-Comics Reviews Rom RPGs Sandman Sapphire & Steel Sarah Jane Adventures Saturday Morning Cartoons SBG for Girls Seasons of DWAITAS Secret Origins Podcast Secret Wars SF Silver Age Siskoid as Editor Siskoid's Mailbox Space 1999 Spectre Spider-Man Spring Cleaning ST non-fiction ST novels: DS9 ST novels: S.C.E. ST novels: The Shat ST novels: TNG ST novels: TOS Star Trek Streaky Suicide Squad Supergirl Superman Supershill Swamp Thing Tales from Earth-Prime Team Horrible Teen Titans That Franchise I Never Talk About The Prisoner The Thing Then and Now Theory Thor Thursdays of Two Worlds Time Capsule Timeslip Tintin Torchwood Tourist Traps of the Forgotten Realms Toys Turnarounds TV V Waking Life Warehouse 13 Websites What If? Who's This? Whoniverse-B Wikileaked Wonder Woman X-Files X-Men Zine