Mythical Halloween Party

Each time there's a Halloween party at my place, there's a theme to be followed. This year, it was Myth and Religion. I can't show you all the costumes either because guests arrived later than the official picture posing, or there was some wardrobe malfunction (nipple slips!) or they just don't make sense to a wider, English-reading public (there were a number of inside jokes, for example, or puns that only worked in French). But here's what I CAN show.

In the Hindu corner...
A couple of impressive attempts at 4-armed deities from Carolynn and Julie this year, though two very different goddesses. Carolynn was Kali, the Destroyer of Worlds, taking part in Kali's favorite hobby, corpse-surfing.Julie's Lakshmi - goddess of fortune and lots of other good things - had better arm stiffness and control, and a really beautiful home-made sari which got her the prize for Best Costume later in the evening, but both girls had a heck of a time eating, drinking and not accidentally feeling people up.

In the Greco-Roman corner...
By far the most popular pantheon - everybody's got white sheets at home - and it starts with Etienne's Apollo. Note the lyre crafted from a rocking chair we put out of its misery earlier in the week. Waste not, want not.
Julien played Ares, the god of war.
Marty was on hand as Poseidon, god of the sea and apparently all manner of liquids. I had to clean up his divine puke not long after this. I call it my own private Odyssey.
We had not one, but TWO Atlases (Marc-Sam and Ludger), though I question the weight they both had to endure.
As far as mortals went, Gab came as Antigone's incestuous, suicide-prone cousin Haimon.
And the real life Doiron brothers came as Romulus and Remus. Sadly, they didn't have a she-wolf's teat with them, but did reenact Romulus' killing of his brother on one of the hills of Rome, which I guess explains why they don't call it Reme.

In the Postmodern Boy-Aren't-I-Clever Corner...
Investigating Remus' death, we have Sex God David Caruso, who spent the night throwing one-liners and ripping off his glasses.
And Frank was self-proclaimed Living God Kim Jong Il, here posing in front of his (my) DVD collection, not so long before sleeping off his tyranny on my couch. Still, took the most Far Out Idea Award the next morning.

In the Norse corner...
Isabel - Winner of the Epiphany (THAT'S a real goddess?) Award - asks: Has Skade, goddess of skiing, ever been in an issue of Thor?
No one knows. Especially not Chalifoux's Sigmund, a hero from the Norse Sagas best known for fathering Sigurd the dragon slayer. I guess he's the Uther Pendragon of Scandinavia.

In the Egyptian corner...
Cat of the Geek Extra! Two Basts: Isabelle and Josée! Isabelle's skirt got her the Sexiest Costume Award. My own cat also played an Egyptian living god, but stuck to my bedroom most of the night. Can't stand the filthy Greco-Romans is what.

In the Judeo-Christian corner...
Hey, gotta celebrate our Catholic roots, no heresy meant. St-Pierre was on hand to take down our sins for inclusion in the Book of Life as St-Peter (St-Pierre is French for St-Peter, if that's not abundantly clear, so points for using his real last name).
And Fred came up with a really beautiful costume: The Tree of Life. He spent the evening seducing young women into eating his apple (and our entire store of apples, if I go by the next morning's evidence!).
As for me, I decided to be the Word (John 1:1), and just created a t-shirt with the French for "to be" in Hebrew-like script on it. Simple, and requiring entirely too much explanation and pointing at my King James bible. But left my hands free to make sure no one made my Doctor Who action figures have sex and things.

Comments

De said…
You have the coolest friends.
Siskoid said…
Did you not read the stories accompanying the pictures?

;-)
Martin Léger said…
Sorry and thanks...

I don't remember anything but thanks most probably.
Hi. I like the Hindu corner. Those four arms costumes are great. I just wonder how the extra arms can hold up. Well, very inventive costumes. They provide some inspiration for next year Halloween. I'm looking forward to plan again the party at our place.

Take care,
Ella
Siskoid said…
Ella: It was all done with wires. The real trick was stuffing the arm so that it retained its shape, while at the same time not being to heavy it snapped the wires.
Prime Director said…
I love the Tree of Life's snake-hand.
Austin Gorton said…
But left my hands free to make sure no one made my Doctor Who action figures have sex and things.

I've done much the same with my Star Wars figures at many a party I've hosted.

Great costumes all around. I'm jealous of the effort, cleverness and adherence-to-theme of your guests.
Sea-of-Green said…
This is frickin' brilliant. :-)