Kung Fu Fridays in May

New month, new poster, this time featuring Japanese movie icon Toshiro Mifune, Kurasawa's muse. I think I've prepared a pretty cool line-up of top Asian cinema stars for anyone who comes to my apartment Fridays this month...

Yojimbo - We really enjoyed Kurosawa's Sanjuro, but hadn't yet seen Mifune's jaded ronin character in this much darker tale. I rarely go to Japan on Kung Fu Fridays (I'm a big Hong Kong man, myself), but I'm always ready to make an exception for Kurosawa.

The Killer - A John Woo classic recently re-released by Dragon Dynasty. No one does Heroic Bloodshed better, and it's been well over a year since our last John Woo/Chow Yun Fat collaboration.

An Empress and the Warriors - I'm a sucker for Donnie Yen, even if he doesn't have the main role. Almost put this one in "Ladies' Month", but here it is as our featured historical epic of the month.

Fist of Fury/Fist of Legend - We close out the month with a double feature. Bruce Lee or Jet Li? Register to vote now!

Comments

Blanco said…
YUSSSS!!! Toshiro Mifune is one badass mofo. Definately the Clint Eastwood of Japan.

Yojimbo is such an awesome movie too.
Siskoid said…
And I think the Sanjuro character was the inspiration for the Man Without a Name.
Blanco said…
Yeah, there was a whole dispute about it because A Fistful of Dollars was basically a remake of Yojimbo but Leone did not pay any royalties.
Siskoid said…
LOTS of people need to send Kurosawa a check. Most of all George Lucas.