DCH to DCAdv: Ambush Bug

This isn't just my first attempt at converting a DC Heroes RPG character to a DC Adventures character, but also my first attempt at building a DC Adventures character, PERIOD (and even my first Mutants & Masterminds character, indeed, my first touch of d20!). So I chose a fetish character of mine, one Irwin Schwab AKA Ambush Bug. My thanks must go to writeups.org, THE DCH site, where conversion benchmarks can be found in addition to a great wealth of DCH stats for everything from obscure DC characters to WWF wrestlers. /well-deserved plug

So let's get into it...

AMBUSH BUG
Power Level 10

Abilities
Strength 0, Stamina 1, Agility 2, Dexterity 1, Fighting 0, Intellect 0, Awareness 0, Presence 1

Powers
Teleportation suit: 54 pts, Removable [44 pts]
*Teleport 15, Easy [45 pts]
*Protection 9 [9 pts]

Reality Check: Dynamic Array [41 pts]
*Knows he's in a comic book: Senses/Awareness (Comic Book Meta-Text) 12, Dimensional (Real World), Innate, Affects others, Area Effect, Unreliable (Area Effect only) [37 pts]
*Quick change: Feature 2 [2 pts]
*Jumping off and across the page: Movement/Dimensional Travel 3 [2 pts]

Skills
Athletics 4 (+4), Deception 4 (+4), Expertise: Comic books 12 (+12), Persuasion 4 (+5)

Advantages
Connected, Luck 3, Move-by Action, Taunt

Offense: Initiative +2
Defense: Dodge 10 (9 pts), Parry 0 (0 pts), Will 2 (2 pts), Fortitude 3 (2 pts), Toughness 2 (1 pt)

Totals: Abilities 10, Skills 12, Advantages 6, Powers 85, Defenses 14 = 127 pts

Complications
*WOOP WOOP WOOP!: Ambush Bug is a complete loony. Even when his Reality Check affects others and they too realize they're in a comic book, he still doesn't make any sense. Non sequiturs abound.
*Editors: Perhaps because they don't appreciate his knowing who he really works for, editors have been making his life hell ever since he became "aware". Treat them as mostly benign archenemies whose actions Reality Check can detect.
*Responsibility: Ambush Bug doesn't care for much, but he feels an overwhelming sense of responsibility over Baby Cheeks, an inanimate doll he believes to be his adopted son and sidekick.

So that's my attempt! I decided to go for the iconic "hero" Ambush Bug, not the villain who used robotic insects to sync his teleportation destinations. The big challenge was modeling Reality Check, the knowledge that one is in a comic book and the ability to capitalize on that information. I think it works, so long as you consider the Real World of the "page" to be a dimension. Other heroes who have Reality Check include Animal Man, Zatanna in 7 Soldiers and wink-at-you Silver Age Superman.

How'd I do? (I'm willing to edit the post based on comments!)

Comments

Trey said…
I don't have anything to add in terms of the stats, as I haven't given DCAdv a thorough read-through, but I like the first choice of character.
Unknown said…
I had never heard of Ambush Bug before but I love the Reality Check power. :)
Siskoid said…
Heresy! ;)

More on the Reality Check power in this older article.
Unknown said…
Aha! I see I need to catch up on your old posts. :)

The only comic where I recall a definite break in the fourth wall was Alan Moore's Promethea (one of my all-time faves). There may have been more subtle breaks that I can't recall, however.
chiasaur11 said…
It's a wider tradition than you think.

I remember Byrne's run on She Hulk made heavy use of the gag, and Deadpool has noted the whole bit from time to time.
Siskoid said…
Yep, I kept my examples in the DCU, but Marvel's done plenty as well.