Amalgamonday Confession

Inspired by THIS:While you enjoy this Amalgam of Star Trek and Firefly, allow me to confess one of my repulsively geeky habits. This kind of amalgamation is something I do all the time as a mental exercise. Any show or franchise that has an ensemble cast, I eventually and inevitably put that cast on a Federation starship (usually TNG era) named after the corresponding show. It really doesn't have to be science-fiction. Captain Bartlet of the USS Republic? Check. Captain Phelps of the USS Impossible. Likewise. Captain Jack Harkness of the USS Torchwood (everyone's potentially a redshirt!). Captain Buffy Summers, youngest Captain in Starfleet, of the USS Sunnydale. Captain Donaghy of the USS Rockefeller (NCC-30). They've all existed in my head space.

Hi, my name is Siskoid and I'm a capital-G Geek.

Comments

Toby'c said…
I don't have a photo of it or anything, but I remember doing something like this with Blue Heelers. Tom and Nick/Ben/Alex fit so easily into the Picard and Riker slots.
Craig Oxbrow said…
The first time I saw this it had "Star Wars" written in the corner, which really made my brain spin.
Siskoid said…
Me too. It was doubly hilarious.
chiasaur11 said…
I've considered it with the crew from Mass Effect.

Let's put it this way.

Commander Shepard of Starfleet quickly becomes Commander Shepard of Section 31 quickly becomes "Shepard: Armed and extremely dangerous. Do not approach"

Really, she'd barely fit in with TOS. TNG and Shepard, well...
Michael May said…
When TNG, DS9, and Voyager were on the air, I did this ALL THE TIME. Especially with movies. It works particularly well with submarine movies, but I'd watch just about anything and re-imagine it as a Star Trek scenario.

I even created an entire world for Westerns in which the Federation and Klingons were fighting over rights to colonize the planet.
Luna.wolves said…
I used the cast from WKRP in Star Trek. I have them running a medical ship with Mrs Carlson being chief CMO and her poor son as a Commander in charge of the ship. Now the fun part was trying to figure out which near human race everyone was. I picked Argellian for Lt. Johnny Fever the most laid back engineer in starfleet.
Carl Walker said…
I feel like there should be a less obvious name for Buffy's ship.... USS Chumash?! I am also tempted to say that she should be Commander Summers serve under Captain Giles and then mutiny against him in the 6th season, but then again, there is basically no difference between the Watchers and the Starfleet admirals (and Giles could be the equivalent of Admiral Ross, the only good admiral, ever).

No, I haven't thought of this in a while but it doesn't take much to get me thinking of that again. I know Whedon hates Trek but should at least give us a Buffy/Firefly comic crossover some day! Not because it would be necessarily good, but just because it would be awesome.
Siskoid said…
I see Giles more as a wise mentor like Bones.
LiamKav said…
"Really, she'd barely fit in with TOS. TNG and Shepard, well..."

YES! + one million points to you.