Kung Fu Fridays in September

Another month, another Kung Fu poster and selection. And a nice one too. September is almost entirely dedicated to my absolute favorite martial arts choreographer/director - Lau Kar-Leung (also known as Liu Chia-Liang, above). A lover of all twelve weapons of Shaolin, there's there's nothing like watching one of his fights and realizing we've gone 12-16 moves without breaking the shot. So what have I got all picked out for those crazy enough to land at my place on a Friday night?

Executioners from Shaolin - AKA Executioners of Death (which strikes me as the same kind of title as Doctor Who's Deadly Assassin), this Lau Kar-Leung film features the character of Pai Mei made famous in North America by Kill Bill (which we've just re-watched... LINK!) Lo Lieh and my man Gordon Liu star.

Martial Arts of Shaolin - Does it smell like a theme in here? The only collaboration between film director Lau Kar-Leung and actor Jet Li, I'm smelling the awesomeness well in advance.

13 Assassins - Our only break from Lau Kar-Leung, this 2010 Japanese flick based on a true incident set in the waning era of the samurai. So let's go kill an evil lord, shall we?

Mad Monkey Kung Fu - And we're back to my fetish director (who also stars), along with Lo Lieh, my young auntie Kara Hui and in his first starring role, Little Monkey Hsiao Ho. I'm really splurging, which means I'll have to put in a little more Chang Cheh in October. It's just not the same.

Yes, I skip a Friday, but I'll be working and most of my crew will be at the Frosh Week Mega-Show where I'll be doing so. September indulges us by having a fifth Friday to spare!

Comments