Kirby Motivational: One for the Collectors

I know who Tiny is. I've been Tiny. Lured to the Big City in the hopes of finding some collectible, or as in his case, REPLACING an old collectible, lost since childhood but still holding some kind of nostalgic power over me. If you're one of my readers, you've probably been there. But do we really want to BE Tiny? Does owning that elusive toy really make us happy? For how long? And you were like Tiny, a bit of an ape about it, perhaps grabbing it from someone else's hands, or blowing cash you were supposed to use responsibly, was it worth it?

Don't be Tiny. Try to be Big.

Comments

Buryak said…
One of my favorite movies of all time is Flash Gordon. Saw it in the theatres with my brother and Dad as a kid. I had it on VHS and watched it a million times. Crap, I even found the soundtrack on tape and listened to it in-between the Ramones and the Stooges and stuff. I lost that tape when VHS died. Been looking for it for years and years. I bought the Flash Gordon "Saviour of the Universe Anniversary Edition" a couple years ago. I was very excited about it. Alex Ross painted cover too... I've watched it twice. I think when you want something so much, and spend hours upon hours dreaming about it, but when you finally get it, you feel almost let down. Its still one of my childhood favorites, right next to Time Bandits and Big Trouble, Little China... but I don't watch those either. Its weird how that is. I think I might just stick to just wanting stuff, but don't actually get them, even if I have the opportunity. It'll keep me excited about things.
Kal said…
Seeing a collection build over time is a fun thing to do. I have no children or wife to support and I have adjusted my lifestyle to enjoy both collecting and food and shelter and sometimes a nice cuban cigar. The hunt is as much fun as the getting which can be a let down until months later when you pull out the piece and admire what you have.
Siskoid said…
Great stories, guys.

There was also this guy I knew called Spock who said "Having is not so pleasing as wanting".
googum said…
Hey, if you really need that Kamandi figure, get in touch! They were marked down to dirt cheap and I picked up spares--what, you didn't think I'd give up mine, did you!
Siskoid said…
It was a joke, but what would you like to trade it for?