Saturday Morning Cartoons: ABC in 1979

I guess I was an ABC watcher that year, probably because they led off with Super-Friends. Plastic Man? I definitely watched that, Mightyman and Yukk too (the dog was so ugly, his face would literally curdle milk and things). I have fewer memories of Rickety Rocket, so I either changed the channel conflate in my mind with that sentient dune buggy show. Fangface, like two other ABC cartoon stars, got a baby. Fangpuss, Baby Plas and Scrappy Doo... What a strange trend. (Or did Baby Plas only show up the next year? Confirmed, he did. Based on Scrappy's overwhelming success, I guess.) And of course, Spider-Woman. I met Jessica Drew through this animated series and it remains my greatest exposure to the character. I even remember watching American Bandstand.

Yep, I was an 8-year-old ABC kid.


Timothy Brannan said...

I don't remember the Spider-Woman show at all. The rest, yeah I saw them, but I can't believe I never knew there was a Spider-Woman cartoon. I might have to look that up.


Sweet! I don't remember Rickety Rocket. But the rest were a Saturday ritual wit me. Thanks for the memories!



Jeff R. said...

I'm in the same position as Timothy: watched all of the others, no memory of a Spider-Woman cartoon at all. My guess is that that's where we took a break for breakfast.

Bill Doughty said...

I must have only watched the Plastic Man segments, because I have no memory at all of Mighty Man & Yukk or Rickety Rocket. I think I might half-remember Fangpuss, but that might only be because I know I watched Fangface and really liked it at the time, so maybe I'm just thinking of that.

I watched Spider-Woman a bunch, though I barely remember any of them now. It was always exciting when Spider-Man would guest-star, though.

Siskoid said...

My strongest memory of Spider-Woman is the silk that would come out of her fingertips, drawn in white rather than black, and that creepy spider bite sequence that was in the opening credits.

Servo said...

This was the era when Ruby-Spears animation was really in tight with ABC, as I recall. I think of those shows, maybe only Scooby-Doo and Super Friends wasn't one of their creations.

The Spider-Woman cartoon wasn't too bad, although you would never guess it was the same character as Marvel's comic books - which was going through a Steve Englehart "weirdness" phase. Really was confusing as a kid to have that lack of continuity between the two media.

Random trivia: The voice of Mighty Man was actually Peter Cullen - pre-Optimus Prime.


Blog Archive


5 Things to Like Activities Advice Alien Nation Aliens Say the Darndest Things Alpha Flight Amalgam Ambush Bug Animal Man anime Aquaman Archetypes Archie Heroes Arrowed Asterix Atom Avengers Awards Babylon 5 Batman Battle Shovel Battlestar Galactica Black Canary BnB 2-in1 Books Booster Gold Buffy Canada Captain America Captain Marvel Cat CCGs Charlton Circles of Hell Comics Comics Code Approved Conan Contest Cooking Crisis Daredevil Dating Kara Zor-El Dating Lois Lane Dating Lucy Lane Dating Princess Diana DCAU Deadman Dial H Dice Dinosaur Island Dinosaurs Director Profiles Doctor Who Doom Patrol Down the Rabbit Hole Dr. Strange Encyclopedia Fantastic Four Fashion Nightmares Fiasco Films Within Films Flash Flushpoint Foldees French Friday Night Fights Fun with Covers Galleries Game design Gaming Geekly roundup Geeks Anonymous Geekwear Gimme That Star Trek Godzilla Golden Age Grant Morrison Great Match-Ups of Science Fiction Green Arrow Green Lantern Hawkman Hero Points Podcast Holidays House of Mystery Hulk Human Target Improv Inspiration Intersect Invasion Invasion Podcast Iron Man Jack Kirby Jimmy Olsen JLA JSA Judge Dredd K9 the Series Kirby Motivationals Krypto Kung Fu Learning to Fly Legion Letters pages Liveblog Lonely Hearts Podcast Lord of the Rings Machine Man Motivationals Man-Thing Marquee Masters of the Universe Memes Memorable Moments Metal Men Metamorpho Micronauts Millennium Mini-Comics Monday Morning Macking Movies Mr. Terrific Music Nelvana of the Northern Lights Nightmare Fuel Number Ones Obituaries oHOTmu OR NOT? Old52 One Panel Outsiders Panels from Sheena Paper Dolls Play Podcast Polls Questionable Fridays Radio Rants Reaganocomics Recollected Red Bee Red Tornado Reign Retro-Comics Reviews Rom RPGs Sandman Sapphire & Steel Sarah Jane Adventures Saturday Morning Cartoons SBG for Girls Seasons of DWAITAS Secret Origins Podcast Secret Wars SF Silver Age Siskoid as Editor Siskoid's Mailbox Space 1999 Spectre Spider-Man Spring Cleaning ST non-fiction ST novels: DS9 ST novels: S.C.E. ST novels: The Shat ST novels: TNG ST novels: TOS Star Trek Suicide Squad Supergirl Superman Supershill Swamp Thing Tales from Earth-Prime Team Horrible Teen Titans That Franchise I Never Talk About The Prisoner The Thing Then and Now Theory Thor Thursdays of Two Worlds Time Capsule Timeslip Tintin Torchwood Tourist Traps of the Forgotten Realms Toys Turnarounds TV V Waking Life Warehouse 13 Websites What If? Who's This? Whoniverse-B Wikileaked Wonder Woman X-Files X-Men Zine