What Canadians Wanna Know About Wolverine Is...

...what hockey team does he root for? The answer, as provided by Wolverine #9 by Paul Cornell, Alan Davis and Mark Farmer, can be found on the walls of his ransacked room in X-Mansion:
We know he's an Albertan, and I guess a southern Albertan, because he prefers the Calgary Flames to the Edmonton Oilers. I thought maybe it had to do with one being around longer than the other, since Wolverine's an old dude, but it can't be that because the Flames started in Atlanta, Georgia in 1972 and only moved to Calgary in '80, while the Oilers were founded in 1971 (though they played their first season in '72). You'd think Wolverine would be a Gretzky fan too.

But since the Flames are, to him at least, a relatively young team, who did he root for before that? Well, the more faded of the two banners shows the Montreal Canadiens, which is a nice surprise (French Canadians usually root for this team as a matter of course, though there used to be an important schism when the Avanlanche was the Quebec Nordiques). Since this team started in 1909, it would make sense it would be Wolverine's first love. Now I want to see an all-mutant hockey game between the split schools...

Comments

SallyP said…
Hah! I knew he'd like Calgary! I like to think that he'd be a Hartford Whalers fan too.

God, I miss the Whalers.
Anonymous said…
I thought it was a reference to John Byrne (he's from Calgary).

Roger
John said…
I absolutely love that he’s a Habs fan. Considering Wolverine is a Flames and Habs fan, I like to imagine Sabretooth (Victor Creed) would be a Oilers and Leafs fan.