Siskoid's Comics Recollected - October 1983


Siskoid's Comics Recollected is a nostalgic video series in which I go back in time to the first months of my buying American comics. And whatever YOU remember, I'm interested in too!

Related images

Gene Colan's Firestorm - hot or not?
Oh man, it's freaky what happens to Colossus!
And then there were three (dials):
Related links
The Huntress back-up was featured in a Who's This column about Earthworm.
And I made some jokes about Steve Trevor in the same issue.
This project would just not be possible without Mike's Amazing World of Comics and its comics-by-release-date database.

What comics did YOU get in October of '83? Or alternately, in your seventh month of reading comics?

Comments

Jeff R. said…
So, October 1979. A big month, and I'll try doing the publication rather than alphabet order this time. So we start with fairly unremarkable issues of Superman (343), Superman Family (199), and Justice League of America (174), but the best book that week was DC Comics Presents #17, which was my introduction to the character of Firestorm. Apparently I wasn't the only new Flamehead fan from that issue, as he would go on to have the shortest time between DCCP appearances of any character, the second appearnace leading to his JLA membership.
I notice that I missed a Fantastic Four Annual. (DC wasn't doing annuals at the time, so I wouldn't even be aware of the concept until they started the practice up again.) Next up is Action 503 and a new book for me, Adventure Comics #467. This was the beginning of one of the many attempts to re-tool the book, this time as a normal-sized book split between Plastic Man and Starman (Prince Gavyn). I came for the Plastic Man and stayed for the Starman.

Also this week say Superboy leave both the team and the title of Legion of Super-Heroes (#259) and fly into a new book, New Adventures of Superboy, which was my first non-miniseries #1. (And the first regular title I ever had a complete collection of) Finally, there was Fantastic Four #214, which was the final chapter of the Galactus/Old FF storyline.
Siskoid said…
Well, looking at the listing, the only comic I remember reading in Oct 79 is Rom #2, and that was a relatively recent purchase. The 70s are a bit of a blind spot for me, even as back issues.
Jeff R. said…
And looking ahead, the notable Oct 83 books I got that you didn't were Amethyst and New Teen Titans-the original 'Who is Donna Troy'. Neither one of us weas prescient enough to grab Alan Moore's first Swamp Thing; it would be decades before I managed to track that one down.
Siskoid said…
My limited budget, knowledge and maturity meant I missed a LOT of comics first time around. Almost criminal. But I was a 12-year-old without a mentor.