Siskoid's Comics Recollected - September 1983


Siskoid's Comics Recollected is a nostalgic video series in which I go back in time to the first months of my buying American comics. You got memories too? Share them!

Related images
Galactus POPS up, sort of, in X-Men Annual #7:
The Rubik's Cube fad helps Superman save the Earth. Truth!
Related links
I covered Rom #49 even before I did weekly Spaceknight Saturdays.
And then I covered it again FOR Spaceknight Saturdays.
This project would just not be possible without Mike's Amazing World of Comics and its comics-by-release-date database.

What comics did YOU get in September of '83? Or alternately, in your sixth month of reading comics?

Comments

Anonymous said…
"And with that ... Warlock changes color."

I remember it well!
Jeff R. said…
Better late than never: August 1979. And, since I started with your second article and so have been one month behind your suggestion at the end (and because these two months didn't see much change in my habits), September 1979 as well.

August: Keeping with the books I'd been getting, most of which are fairly uninteresting now: Action 501, Superman 341, DCCP 15 (with the Atom), Superboy and the Legion 257, Fantastic Four 212 (where everyone gets rapidly aged), Justice League 172 (The second part of that JSA crossover, which was the Mr. Terrific one and thus ends in a dangling plot-thread that won't be picked up again until the 90s). One new pick-up that week, as I discover that I missed one book that was headed to a big anneversary number, because it was at that point bimonthly: Superman Family 198, which was my first exposure to the Earth-2 Superman.

September was more interesting, with Action 502 (with the Galactic Golem, a villain I've always thought was underused), DCCP 16 (Black Lightning), Fantastic Four 213, Justice League 173 (Also with Black Lightning...for some reason DC wanted to expose the character, and then wound up not using him again until the Outsiders launch), Superboy and the Legion #258, and Superman 342.

Siskoid said…
Maybe Outsiders wasn't ready to launch which made BL's appearances a bit precipitate.