Doctor Who Series 8 Trailer


You know what's exciting? Not being on the Doctor Who daily merry-go-round when a new trailer comes out. I'm not on Doctor Who overload. I'm not worried about spoiling the daily experience by skipping ahead. It's all new and all up for grabs. So what can we expect in Series 8? Some thoughts:

0:11 Daleks? Okay. Daleks. I could do without them for a while, but they certainly have their fans and can help sell a new Doctor. Plus, they just got a bloody nose from his regeneration.
0:21 Cool TARDIS explosion. I hope it plays as well in the actual mix, but as a trailer shot, it's incredibly cool.
0:26 I thought for a second this was the cyborg cowboy from A Town Called Mercy, but no, just an unfinished artificial man, possibly from a Victorian adventure seeing as Lady Vastra is at 0:39.
0:27 I don't know what this mechanical bird thing is, but I prefer to think of it as the New Who Avitron.
0:28 Still on a Star Wars kick, I see.
0:33 The Doctor on a new mission, righting the mistakes of the past? What could that mean?
0:37 And further, going "into darkness"...? It could be an expression or just taken out of context. Is it the darkness of amnesia as hinted at the end of Time of the Doctor? The "mistakes" speech seems to belie that. Are we going where we've never been before? Is it simply the Void that must separate our world and lost Gallifrey? Delving into his own sins? What?
0:39 Clara falling down a tube. More interior TARDIS shenanigans?
0:40 A remake of Invasion of the Dinosaurs with Walking with technology? Despite the existence of Dinosaurs on a Spaceship, I'm gonna say "yes please!"
After that, plenty of short shots, none of which tell me anything clear. Robots, horses, explosive decompression, mysterious figures, Daleks, spaceships... you know, the usual. But how will it differ from what New Who has made us used to? Moffat did promise some big changes.

And we return to the previous teaser's question. Is he a good man? The answer's got to be yes, and perhaps one who will judge his previous selves lacking in that department, if he really wants to make amends. Will he be darker in the sense of edgier, or in will he simply be gloomier? Waiting patiently for August 23rd...

Comments

Anonymous said…
Still eager to see how Peter Capaldi does. His most famous role to date is the intensely foul-mouthed Malcolm Tucker, though he's been in a million other things (including a band with Craig Ferguson).

Here's the only trailer I'm interested in:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Blf073f2Lc

If you're at work, you'll want to use headphones. Because of the explosions.
LiamKav said…
Don't we need to pick out a random shadowy image and say that it's "The Master/The Rani/Christopher Eccleston"?
Martin Léger said…
I hope they give Clara more to do. She was always so close to clicking to the story. She seems just so pleasant but in the end she was nothing more than a character that the Doctor is curious about.
Siskoid said…
Anon: Yes I love that trailer, and I love The Thick of It. And I don't care if I play it full on at work because I basically have Malcolm Tucker's job. Also, we sometimes communicate via You-Tubed Godzilla skronks across the office.

Liam: The Master is the automaton, the Rani is the pink hair seen from behind, and Eccleston is the horse.

Marty: On first viewing I kind of agreed with you. On second viewing, I discovered Clara for who she really was. See, I was intrigued by the mystery too and it overshadowed everything. When you watch it again (if ever), you'll find she saves the Doctor quite a bit throughout the series, not just through her past selves. See my reviews for more.
snell said…
I'm calling it: The "many mistakes" and "into darkness" is the new Doctor, in a typical post-regeneration bit of melancholia, proposing to exile himself to some black hole or such to protect the universe from himself, but they encounter folks that need help and of course he's the Doctor, so Deep Breath, everyone, we're back to normalish.

Either that, or the "mistakes" and "into darkness" is a reference to nuTrek, and D8 is going back to prevent JJ Abrams and crew from resurrecting Khan...
Siskoid said…
I've made a lot of mistakes... chief among them letting Cumberbatch take that role...