This Week in Geek (18-24/08/14)

Buys

DVDs on the cheap: I Heart Huckabees, The Jacket, Under the Skin, and because I'm assembling a more complete time travel movie collection, Peggy Sue Got Married and Somewhere in Time. Also got a couple books: José Saramago's Cain and Canadian best-seller Lawrence Hill's The Book of Negroes.

"Accomplishments"

DVDs: The only thing I flipped this week is Babylon 5's Season 2 DVD set (The Coming of Shadows), and the content has already been sufficiently reviewed this past month. So let's talk DVD package and extras. As for the rest of the B5 DVD sets, there are important widescreen issues, but it adds to its crimes against the series some truly monstrous character morphs in the menus. Commentary tracks were recorded for three episodes, two by JMS and one by the cast (it's pretty fun). The featurettes include an introduction to the season, a "from script to screen" making of, and a "how to manipulate fans into getting you a Hugo Award" (not actual title, but it's a JMS ego-fest). Through these, we get to hear from a great many people from the cast and crew, but I must warn against spoilers about future seasons. Minimal and broad, but still there. As with the previous boxed set, there are video files on people, concepts and technology of dubious value, though I like the addition of a Babylon 5 universe timeline (still, might it not have been better at the very end?). And of course, all of the hilariously misleading trailers for each episode are included as before.

So what did I do with the rest of my week? Well, work stuff, mostly, and rewatched all of Veronica Mars, which the film inspired me to do. What's the point of owning all these DVDs if I never rewatch anything, right?

Hyperion to a Satyr posts this week:
V.i. Ophelia's Funeral - Fodor (2007)

Comments

LiamKav said…
"but it adds to its crimes against the series some truly monstrous character morphs in the menus"

These DVDs were made in, what 2005? Who thought that those morphs were a good idea? Someone who'd been frozen in a time capsule since 1993?
LiamKav said…
(saying that, the one of Talia morphing into Kosh is hilarous because, well, wtf?)
Anonymous said…
Hey Siskoid, my wife and just shot gunned V. Mars the series too, and I was wondering what you thought of it? I really enjoyed the first two seasons and looking back I think I appreciated the second season a lot more then the first time we watched it. But man the third season was hard to watch, Rob Thomas has great instincts as a writer but he really got boned by the network in the third season.
Friscovi
Siskoid said…
I liked the third season a lot more this time, perhaps because I wasn't expecting it to be like the first and second, and remembered the stories less.