Reign of the Supermen #545: HeroClix Superman

Source: WizKids' HeroClix (2002-present)
Type: Toy/Game
If HeroClix had come out in the early 90s, during the collectible card game craze, I would likely have spent the better portion of my student loan on it. I do have a few, most of them gifts, almost all of DC characters, and I do use them to stage battles for superhero RPGs (the characters must all stand in for other, obviously), but I never took the time to learn the rules. The game is clever, with the potential for lots of different powers and the "clicking" that drains the character of vitality, but also changes its abilities to account for that drain or its resourcefulness when things get tough. I'm sure there's lots of strategy involved, but also what I like about collectible (or rather customizable) games, that each play creates a story (it's why I got into the Star Trek CCG, but hated Magic: The Gathering, for example). So Superman - the object of our interest - well, WHICH Superman? WizKids has produced literally dozens and dozens of different Superman figures. I tried to grab all their pics, but it was just too time-consuming. Here's what it looked like in my file when I flat gave up:
There are Supermen from alternate Earths, Bizarros, classic poses with phone booths or racing next to the Flash, zombies, replacements, costumes from across his history, bobble-headed atrocities, Elseworlds, flying and not... All kinds. Is he the most featured character in HeroClix? (It's probably Batman, I bet it's Batman, but he must be pretty close. I'm really no expert.) So who's Jimmy gonna call?
It's really anybody's guess.

For more information, I invite you to scour the Absorbascon because fellow blogger (and inspiration) Scipio has not only written quite a few articles on the subject, but also creates some mighty fun DC-themed battle maps for your Clix. Germane to our discussion, he has maps for the Daily Planet (newsroom and rooftop), and an attempt at a 3D aerial battle over Metropolis.

Comments

Bill said…
My favorite to use was the DC One Million Superman. He had a lot of powers and was hard to defeat.
Siskoid said…
I imagine there's a point value maximum any given team you build must have as "balance"?
idiotbox2099 said…
you start out declaring a point value. and then you build what you can with the points. 300 is a common point level for tournaments.