Nitpicking A New Hope from 47:52 to 56:00
Ok, how about we meet Han Solo? You know where this is heading...
1) It takes away the mystery of who Jabba is. I know, I know, at this point in human history, it's not exactly a spoiler, but narratively speaking, it's still a mistake to have him show up early. The trilogy wasn't built like that for a reason.
2) The scene also anticipates fan favorite Boba Fett, and thus tries to take away something from both the untouchable Empire Strikes Back, AND Return of the Jedi.
4) There's a behind the scenes reason to hate it too: It forces us to accept Lucas' delusion that he had this grand vision of Jabba as a slug monster all along, but had to compromise and use... a human actor wearing furs? Come on, now. I agree that the Jabba we eventually got was a better idea, and so it's good this scene was originally deleted, but don't kid a kidder. Your compromise can't have been "just a guy". He would at least have been a more humanoid alien. Given the richness of the background, like, EVERYWHERE ELSE IN THIS MOVIE, there's no way Lucas is remembering it right, and I do find it extremely irritating when he tries to rewrite his own history in addition to his films.
5) He was right to cut the scene originally. It gives us nothing we didn't already know. Han needs money, he's fleeing some mob boss, that's all we need to know. It's basically a repeat of the Greedo scene.
6) Harrison Ford isn't very good in it. A lot of obvious pointing and a stilted delivery.
7) There's this one guy in the scene, a space pirate with a frou frou shirt, dancing around because he's trying to act "alert". Terrible.
Or am I reading too much into it?