1996's Ten Best Covers

Saving the ignoble 90s one year at a time, 10 covers at a time. We're up to 1996, a year where it was apparently fashionable (again) to destroy the comic's logo, but also one that gave us a couple of images iconic enough to get homaged for years to come. Find them on the list below. As usual, my thanks to Mike's Amazing World of Comics (link will take you to the start publication month, not the cover dated one) where you can play along.
Kingdom Come #2 by Alex Ross
Supergirl #1 by Gary Frank and Cam Smith
Power of Shazam #14 by Jerry Ordway
New Gods #12 by Walt Simonson
Incredible Hulk Megazine #1 by Adam Kubert and Mark Farmer
Concrete: Think Like a Mountain #1 by Geof Darrow
The Books of Magic #23 by August Hall
Flex Mentallo #4 by Frank Quitely
Batman Black and White #4 by Alex Toth
Superman #120 by Ron Frenz and Joe Rubinstein (especially impressive, I thought given how I don't consider these artists too spectacular)

But perhaps you have different ideas?

Comments

Kid Kyoto said…
Y'know I really have to wonder what your methodology is. Do you go through EVERY comic published in a year? Do you cherry pick artists and series you know will be good? Memory?

I just have to know.
Siskoid said…
Click the link for Mike's Amazing World of Comics, it's all there. I review the covers as thumbnails, which dismisses a lot of stuff, and click the ones I need to take a closer look at. I collect a "short list" clicking through each successive month, and then decide on a top 10 from that. Some covers I have in my collection and remember well, others I might discover while on the site.
Andrew said…
That Supergirl cover . . . I get what it's trying to do, with the monster in the skateboard, but it really just looks like a regular skateboard with a face design on it.

The Megazines were cool though, these thick slabs of comic reprinting full issues of various Marvel classics. My favorite was the general Marvel Megazine, which was running Miller Daredevil and Byrne Fantastic Four and a couple other things.