Fried Computer and Bacon for Breakfast

I had something planned for this morning, but my dropped a liquid on my laptop last night and the thing is fried. I have another, from which I am writing these words, a clunky piece of hardware I already detest, but the real question is what will this mean for my many projects that weren't properly backed-up?

I'm gonna call some professionals today to see if my data can be recovered, including precious files like my Doctor Who sourcebooks, all the sound elements for my podcasts, and lots of graphics work and outstanding research besides. These are black days for a blogger-podcaster, friends. Don't be surprised if the blog goes into some kind of recession content-wise, but knowing myself like I do, don't be surprised if it doesn't either.

If you're looking for me, I'm re-editing a podcast from scratch...

Comments

Marty said…
Sorry to hear :(

Time to backup everything on the cloud from now on.
Eric TF Bat said…
In cases where that has happened to my clients (I do IT support in my local region here in Tasmania), the disk drive has almost always been intact. It's a solid, sealed unit. I predict a very good chance of full recovery of your data. Good luck!
Siskoid said…
Yep, I'm pretty optimistic. I've got a date with the PC doctor later today.
Delta said…
Agreed, best of luck!
Tim Knight said…
I feel your pain. Best wishes, then, for getting it sorted ASAP.
Hope this goes smoothly for you!
LiamKav said…
I agree with Eric. I also work in IT, and spilling liquid on a laptop will usually ruin the motherboard unless you kill the power and get it in rice instantly and leave it there for a week or so, and even then the changes aren't great. However, hard drives are usually fine. If you've got a desktop computer you can access you can usually just plug the hard drive into that and you should be able to see all your files.

If the PC doctor starts throwing any costs at you, feel free to ask me anything.
Siskoid said…
Thanks Liam. These are good people though.

Just called and my optimism is draining away as Linux wouldn't recognize the drive, they somehow got it transferring data but ran into more issues. That was customer service, the tech himself will call me a little later with an update.
Siskoid said…
I had a lot of data on there, they tell me recovered some 500 gigs of it, which is anywhere from half to three quarters of what I must've had.

I'm hoping it's the RIGHT slice of the pie. Some stuff I don't care about, some stuff is irreplaceable.

Won't be transferred until probably tomorrow morning, which means another night without internet access, and cutting it awful tight with a podcast interview I'm to conduct around the noon hour tomorrow.