Canada Day Star Trek Madness

All it took was a truly geeky Prime Minister for Star Trek to become the stamp and cash of the land. This is old news at this point, but I haven't mentioned it, and I plan on enjoying some fireworks and friends today, so you'll surely allow me this cheap post about expensive stuff.

At the cheapest end of the spectrum, the lovely stamps William Shatner is shilling above:
The Shat is of course Canadian, as is Jimmy Doohan. I guess DeForest Kelley and Leonard Nimoy get in there because you can't really skip over their characters. Nice of them to include the Toronto-born John Colicos, Trek's very first Klingon Kor! Those are just the basics, there are also pricey lenticular stamps, uncut sheets, postcards, a stamp dispenser... Thanks Canada Post! You've often served us geeks in good stead!

But wait, what about the Canadian Mint? They've at it too, and have created Star Trek-inspired legal tender!
Nooooooo, not the rash of defaced 5$ bills that have (illegally) turned Sir Wilfrid Laurier into Mr. Spock! I means these silver coins:
Whooo Uhura! Sorry Dr. McCoy, but you do get to hang out with Mirror Spock on another coin. And Tribbles. And the Guardian of Forever. But wait, there's more! For the 1% who think 10-20$ coins are small change, there's:
200$ gold deltas! I can't wait to buy a new big screen TV with about 10 of these. Hey, store's gotta take 'em right? They're legal!

I guess all Canada needs now is transporters and a moneyless utopia to make these things true collectibles.

Comments

Brendoon said…
Dang. Now Canada's even more cool-tastic than I knew! We just have explorers and wildlife on ours.
I can't think of a famous American actor or musician who WASN'T from Adanac.
Why IS that?

(Adanac? I figure since we spell stuff left to right in the southern hemisphere, you probably go the other way in the North. Hence the mirror universe Spock's beard-y spelling.)