5 More Favorite Ghosts

Isn't it always the way? After I set down 5 favorite ghosts for a Halloween post last week, others, even more favorite ghosts started making their way into my mind. I can't even believe I forgot these guys! And so, here they are...
Zero. Who doesn't like a ghost dog? Well, people who like their dogs alive, presumably. But if Man's best friend has to cross the Styx, there's Doggie Heaven, and then there's an undead state where he literally becomes Man's BFF. So cute.
The Dibneys. I don't agree with DC's decision to kill off Ralph and Sue Dibney, but I'm even more disappointed they didn't really do much with them as ghost detectives after the fact. A great recycling idea gone to waste, these guys never needed Ralph's stretching ability to be detectives of the weird, and I'd be game with them showing up in contemporary comics and shows AS ghosts.
The Dead Boy Detectives. In the same vein, these Neil Gaiman creations had a pretty fun series not too long ago, and a great dynamic. Charles Rowland and Edwin Paine died decades apart, but still found kinship in their love of mysteries. They each had their own distinct voices, and I enjoyed their "world" tremendously.
Ringwraiths. I'm not a big Tolkien fan, but the Nazgûl are an extremely creepy iteration of what D&D nerds would call liches, very effective in Peter Jackson's trilogy, and they belong on this list if for no other reason than I love to do their blood-freezing scream. So there.
Deadman. Definitely the guy I most regret forgetting first time around, Boston Brand is DC Comics' favorite spirit. Though the look is completely bonkers, the story of a man's ghost looking for his own murderer is compelling as heck, and once that's done, he's a cool guest star to have along, hitching rides into both willing and unwilling bodies, cracking wise and performing acrobatics inside other people's skin. I even liked the emaciated Deadman Kelly Jones used to draw.

So who else do you think I forgot? Should I have put more humor in, like the Stay Puft Marshmallow Man? Or chosen among many fine (and less than fine) dead Jedis, hangin' around Ewok camp fires? Or cheated with people THOUGHT to be spirits, like the Ghost Who Walks, AKA the Phantom? Here's another chance for you to list yours.

Comments

Toby'c said…
I touched on this last week, but my favourite episode of Round the Twist revolves around a ghost dog called Shovel, searching a beach for the bones of his master who drowned trying to save him. In the course of this, he accidentally curses one of the main characters into ending every sentence with the words "Without my pants". The reason being that Ben Byron can only be at peace when his complete skeleton is buried along with his boots and his pants.
Brendoon said…
Though I'm pretty un-fond of magic based fantasy and horror there IS something mighty fine about the DC mystics. They seemed to have the biz which I never got from Doc Strange and co. I'm sure that'll be fixed after the coming movie, natch.

Which brings us to... GHOST OF A DOG, a masterpiece of naive songcraft by Edie Brickelle and the new Bohemians:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3M5dz0K-rJg
Cor, drives shivers!
not cos the dog was scary but her voice always had this amazing "girl next door" thing.
Oh dang, I thought I was over that.
Anonymous said…
Agree about the criminal underuse of the Ghost Dibnys. I believe they were only used in one story before the New 52 came in and wiped this out of existence. Ralph and Sue are now alive again, for which I'm grateful, but the married ghost detectives with a superhero past had so much potential, and ended up going nowhere...