The Doctor Strange Easter Egg No One's Talking About!

Whenever a new superhero movie comes out, you can depend on half a dozen sites to reveal all the comics references, Easter eggs and cameos you might have missed. And so it was with Doctor Strange. So if that's the kind of thing you find interesting, I do suggest you Google "Doctor Strange Easter Eggs" and refer to them. I certainly did. There you'll find the minor characters that made it into the film (including Brother Voodoo's dead brother and the Mindless Ones), what vistas were created by Steve Ditko, what elements were pulled from the original origin or The Oath, what artifacts show up in the Sanctorum (like the Black Knight's helmet, verified, above right)...

But to no uncertain shock, I caught one I haven't seen mentioned on any site (correct me if I'm wrong)! When Strange grabs a random weapon in artifact room, the one he has to admit he doesn't know how to use, the one that looked like a big goblet/flashlight... Holy crap, that's the Evil Eye of Avalon, a power object intended to be a weapon against the Fomor and wielded by Prester John, a legendary Christian king, come through time to sometimes act as an ally, sometimes an antagonist , or heroes like the Fantastic Four, Thor and the Defenders (I'm glossing over some very complicated history here, sorry). If you've seen the movie, tell me this isn't what Strange tried to use:
The Evil Eye can manipulate and disintegrate matter, project blasts of concussive force or disintegration rays, and create force fields. It also possesses dimensional and time travel powers. Maybe it's better that Strange didn't know where its trigger was...

This is the part where you tell me I missed a completely different reference or something.

Comments

snell said…
Bonus: The Evil Eye was the McGuffin in the 1973 Avengers/Defenders War, and was used to defeat both Loki and Dormammu...
Siskoid said…
COINCIDENCE?????!!!!
Ted Pavlic said…
Seems to be consensus that that was actually the Brazier of Bom'Galiath (see also this). Although, given how it popped up again in another recent MCU movie and the way it was used, I think they sort of combined it with The Evil Eye...